Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Calling All Explorer Users

Hello, All -

This is my first post to this forum, since up to this point, I have only used my Explorer SE for coinshooting. But while hunting an old (1875) park, I lucked into finding some shot and possibly other small relics from the Civil War. It turns out the area had encampments under both R.E. Lee and George Custer shortly after the war ended, approximately 10 years before the park was established. Anyway, while digging targets that I thought were nickels, I found the above artifacts. My plea to you all is help in learning the ropes in using the Explorer to find CW relics, since this chance encounter has whet my appetite to find something besides coins. So if you could, I really need guidance on the following:

For CW relics, should I use Ferrous or Conduct sounds? Discrimination/Iron Mask/All Metal ??? Any other setting suggestions for the Explorer that would be different from those used for coinshooting would be greatly appreciated.

Mike (ihuntrelics) suggested I only dig deeper targets in this park setting to avoid the trashy targets. Do you have any minimum depth suggestions for relics of this age?

I normally use the SmartFind screen, so in what areas of this screen should I be concentrating on most for good diggable targets and less trash, versus for coins? As I stated above, the small shot showed up in the area of nickels. Do Minies and other bullets fall in this area of the screen as well?

I have searched the Relic Forum archives for answers to these questions, but failed in locating them. So again, any comments/suggestions/thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated, and thanks a bunch for sharing your knowledge with the "rookies." Take care, and good luck in your next hunt. Johnny

Johnny,

I have several years experience with the Explorer XS and Explorer II. I have never hunted with the Explorer SE so I do not know if it is the same, but I am sure it is very close. I just recently switched over the The Minelab ETRAC and love it. That machine is different than the Explorers. So, to answer some of your questions lets begin:

1. I use Ferrous sounds when relic hunting.
2. I discriminate only nails unless the area gets real trashy then I start playing around with it. If you want to dig shells, frags, iron gun tools, and camp equipment you must open the machine up especially if you think you are in a Civil War camp. In coin hunting, the discrimination is key to your success. Not here!
3. Most relic I dig here in Virginia from the Civil War range from 5-10". If you are hunting in fields that are used in farming then most relics are a bit shallower. The wooded areas you tend to find deeper targets. Some shells and plates can be as deep as 12-15" as I have witnessed in Petersburg.
4. Smartscreen is fine to use if you are discriminating iron totally, but just be aware of this. Most lead is going to show up just above midway slightly to the left of center. Only exception...deep bullets will bounce around in general area till some dirt is removed then it should hit hard in the area noted above. BUTTONS>>>>ahhh the tricky buttons. Most, if not all, smaller cuff size buttons will read as a SHOTGUN SHELL or very close to it. You have to dig the shotgun shells to find the buttons. The bigger coat buttons and flat buttons seem to come in above this area and you will know by the sound when you hit good brass.
5. The good news is that you will still find the coins, but you will dig more than ever! Such is life as a relic hunter...we dig.

I hope this helps? The Explorer detectors are a very solid machine and I think when you open her up your finds will increase as well. Good luck and happy hunting!

Wes

Johnny, on number 4...it should read just RIGHT of center not left. Sorry!

Wes

Great post Wes,

Johnny, I would add while relic hunting in the beginning, you need to did all targets you come across. This one help you learn the sounds you will be hearing now that you are out of coin mode. Sounds mean more than the numbers! In no time you will be able to tell what is under your coil. Good luck

Thank you Scott :)biggrin:), Wesley, and JCJEXPLORER for your input on searching for CW relics. Your replies will help others like myself who are new to using the Explorer to find military relics versus coins. The forums here are so helpful in speeding up the learning curve on these fantastic detectors, and I really appreciate your willingness to take the time to assist those of us in need. Many thanks, and if I can figure out how to use the MACRO setting of my new camera, I will post some pics of my finds. Take care, and good luck in your upcoming hunts! Johnny