Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cable or connectors replacement?

K.J.

hello,

I've noticed that my T2 sometimes goes nuts without a reason. I found that by touching the cable it stops and everything is back to normal. I believe then it must be some sort of cable or connector problem. Considering the cost of a coil, I would prefer to try to replace the cable or the connector first, but I am not in the US, so I was wondering if this operation is feasible or not and if somebdy has already tried that. Thanks

Not on the T2, but I've repaired a couple Bounty Hunter connectors. Probably a wire broken either right at the connector or just an inch or two up where it may get bent often. A broken connection or two may only require resoldering. Otherwise, make a sketch of the wire color-codes and which pin they go to, clip off a few inches of cable, strip it and resolder it to the connector. A holder jig to keep things in position or a helper to hold stuff together will make it go more smoothly. The connector itself is fairly robust, so it's probably just the cable and you can use the old connector.

It can be touchy work. Try to avoid using too much solder and making shorts between pins, or overheating things and softening the plastic. Pre-tin the wires with a bit of solder, keep the exposed ends short and about the same length as the other wires. Heat a pin and get the wire inserted into the hollow pin while the solder is molten. Let it cool, then move to the next. Use a small, low-wattage iron with a clean tip and thin solder.

Most any "serious" audiophile, radio-collector or amateur "Ham" radio operator can help if you're not comfortable soldering. But it's easy to learn and a good repair skill to have.

If you make an error, it shouldn't harm anything, but the detector won't operate correctly untill the error is found and fixed.

Good luck!

-Ed

Hi Ed, thanks for your help! I think I will ask the assistance of someone expert in electronics, because I never tried that before.

Hi Coenwolf, I am actually in Italy, not UK.

regards

M