Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

By Terry B.--Naw, We aren't like that crotchrocket clown. We never did any thing like that, right? Yeeeeeeeaaaa, right.

Royal

Of course I never did anything stupid like that when I was 15 - 25 either Royal. Like racing down mountain roads and having to lay it down & slide under the front bumper of an oncoming car, then continue sliding on across the road & over the edge of a steep 500' dropoff. Luckily a large thicket about 10' down caught & held Me & the bike until the fellow I was racing dragged me up to the road. The bike took a while. Just cuts & bruises that time. Another time My bike pinned My feet as I hung head first over the edge of a river levee, and My cousin had to drag the bike upwards & off of me. I didn't dare move. Another helpless feeling.

And then at 18 in '64 I followed the lettuce crew to Yuma, AZ. Worked in the fields making boxes from dark:30 to dark:30, and then we'd head for the desert to chase jackrabbits between Yuma & San Luis Mexico till 2 or 3 am, then grab a couple hours sleep & hit-er again. Sure wouldn't make it nowadays. On Sundays we'd head for the nearest desert race and give it a go. My first desert race was a 100 miler near Plaster City CA with four 25 mile loops all in different directions like a 4 leaf clover.

I figured I'd give these desert hicks a good run for the money & show 'em how a country boy rides. Yea, right! When the black smoke from the burning tires showed on the horizon and the starter waved the flag, I took off in a cloud of dust like everyone else, and I thought hey, I'm keeping up with the front runners, & most of these half dozen or so guys were experts! I sure was until I got my first taste of those little clumps of grass that grow on a hard clump of hardpan or something here and there like a checkerboard all over the place for as far as the eye can see.

Well, when I hit the first one the bike tried to dump me over the bars and I just about had things under control when I hit the second clump. This time, I'm doing a handstand on the bars, and craning my neck as far back as I could, I could only see the front knobby. I knew I was i deep doo-doo. Finally, I came back down and cracked my right knee on the engine case. However, as I came back down holding tight to the grips, the throttle was full on again, the bike lurches forward back up to speed and up to the handstand I go again.

Oh yea, there's the front knobby again! It's hard to believe, but this sequence went on at least 5 times, and I couldn't do a thing about it! I'm getting tired & worried by this time. Finally there was a longer space between those killer clumps, and I just layed the bike over in the sand and watched some of the other riders cruise by with big grins on their mugs. I bet every one grinning was thinking "first desert race, eh slick?"

Well, after I get my wind back, I jump up and start learning how to slolom around those little innocent looking killer clumps. By this time I'm about in the middle of the pack of probably 150 riders, but holding my own. I'm starting to feel good again, except for the blood oozing from my right knee & saturating my levis. It was still numb. I made it out about ten miles and followed the tracks up out of a high speed wash only to land on top of maybe four or five bikes laying on top of each other.

Some rider had fallen when he cleared the bank of the wash, and the huge dip on the other side of the bank hid the riders and bikes from the continuing flow of oncoming riders. I was lucky and hit flat on some poor fellow's machine and sort of trampolined on off the other side, clearing all the others. You should have seen the arms waving! Apparently I was the only one so far that had managed to continue on without piling up. Nobody was hurt, and one rider had finally climbed up to the top to direct traffic. Once more I was off again in a cloud of dust, only to find that I couldn't turn very well. Front flat! After herding the wounded bronc back to the point of origin, I had a fresh new respect for those desert hicks. :thumbup:

After a couple of brews & a box of bandaids I was a content spectator for the rest of the race. :beers:

n/t

daddy had! NEVER get on a motorcyle! Reminds me of a story....I'll do my best to write it up soon. Still one handed, so typing is very slow! Glad you have joined us! :)

nearly zero suspension! Even before JN Roberts:surprised:
I can totally sympathise! Rip off the headlight and tail light, beer can muffler or none, knobby tires, and go!
What were you riding? BSA? Triumph? Good story!
Wayne

I had to compete in the 250 class as a novice, but the racing crowd there in the Imperial Valley knew who I was after that first winter season. They couldn't get over the fact that I was riding a stripped down stock Honda 160 with desert tires. My second desert race was my best showing of the season. It was only a 75 miler. 3 times around the same trail. Out of all the competitors, I placed 2nd in the 250 novice class, and 7th overall for the day.

At the next race, the then top rider in the desert at that point in time "Don McCarley" embarassed me at the trophy presentation meeting. He made a really big deal of the fact that I placed so high riding a little 160 cc machine. The funny part of the whole story is that I broke down on the second loop, and pushed the bike about a quarter mile in the afternoon heat. Luckily it was on a straight hard flat section of the course, actually a desert dirt road. finally found a thick sprawling cactus and layed down in the shade. I just knew I'd blown the transmission, 'cause I went through all the gears and nothing.

After I layed there for maybe ten minutes waving to many riders as they passed by, I noticed that my chain was hanging loose. Put it back on and took off again in a cloud of dust. That rest was really good for my stamina. I passed all of those that had waved as they blew by me earlier, and had a great second wind. The crowd at the start/finish line learned quickly to move back a ways after my first stop for the crayon mark on my number plate. I wouldn't shut the throttle down & lock up both brakes until the last 20 feet or so. Blew sand & dirt all over those people within range. The officials weren't too happy about that either, but didn't call me on it until the end of the race.

During the last mile of the last lap I had caught a rider on a big BSA, and pulled off the beaten path to pass him. Things got a little rough out there, and as I launched off a little drop-off into a sandy dished out looking mini-bowl, my bike turned completely sideways in the air and stopped rather quickly when it hit the bottom. The electric starter instantly put the machine in motion again, and I caught the guy at the finish line and slid in next to him, but he nosed me out at the line. I needed another 25 feet or so, but can't complain. At the end of that race, both palms were one giant water blister.

The next year I moved up to a 650 Triumph, but their suspension at that point seemed no better than the Honda. I mostly stayed in Yuma to race the triumph, as the motorcycle club in Yuma had opened up a nice new TT track off hwy 95 next to the train tracks. If You check the Yuma paper for the winter of '66 or
'67 on mondays, You'll find my name listed as open class winner most of the time (when I didn't break down). Yea, I was doing great until they re-surfaced the track near the end of the season and I got there late for practice before the riders meeting.

They gave me 2 laps before the meeting, and that's when I met with disaster. Having been used to power sliding full lock on the sweeper, I quickly drifted off the track in front of hundreds of spectaters. Got back on the track and grabbed a big handful of throttle and made the left at the end of the sweeper and then the fatal right just before the big jump. Ouch!!! The bike came around hard, and kept going around until I was almost facing backwards on the track, then it happened. Highsided big time. The bike flipped and broke off the ball end control on the clutch lever, and on the next flip it landed on top of me and the clutch lever went through my right hand.

One would think that this would stop the rider right there. Not me though, I still hadn't had enough! The hand was numb, and I didn't even realize there was a hole through it. I pulled the bike back up, mounted up, fired it up and took off over the jump. I think the embarrassment drove me to keep going more than anything else. I was the top dog at this track, and now I was making a fool of myself! I made it over the jump and dumped it on the next sharp right. At that point I was noticing my back and right side weren't feeling right. That was the end of my growing racing career. They had resurfaced the track making it hardpan with a sprinkling of coarse sand on top, and I wasn't smart enough to figure it all out. Fool!

Good story Terry. You wouldn't be from Bigbee Fork, MS would you :)?

Yep, I have several more interesting memories to put in print - two that are really hard to believe, but absolutely true. I lived life on the edge for quite a few years. Looking back, I would only change a very few things. Never did illegal drugs though - I'm proud & thankful of that.