Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Button info please

CliffHanger

This button is a little larger than a dime. It's light. genuine or fake?

Thank you

CliffHanger
[attachment 33676 2HoleButtonTop.JPG][attachment 33675 2HoleButtonBottom.JPG]

I have had help on this forum in the past and was hoping I could get some info in this button too. Is it a copy or an original?

Thanks

Cliffhanger

Cliffhanger wrote:
>I have had help on this forum in the past and was hoping I could get some info in this button too. Is it a copy or an original?

Well... first, though you said the button is "light" [weight] you didn't tell us what you think it's made of. Photos are helpful but we can only guess about the material the item in the photo is made of.

That being said... I see lighter-colored areas around the central holes, and inside them. This suggests to me that it is an excavated Original (not modern-era copy) button made of bone. Most people don't know it, but bone items tend to oxidize in the ground to a brownish-black color.

By the way, contrary to the case with excavated bone items, buttons and other items made from seashell do not turn dark in the ground.

Regards,
TheCannonballGuy [PCGeorge]

Pete,

When I had first seen this button, I thought it looked like it had the remains of gilting on its surface. When he said it was light,I had just thought it may have been a hollow brass gilted button. However, I did not notice any seams so that it could have been hollow.

Take care,

Kim

Is it a copy or an original?

Pardon my lack of knowledge of buttons,but what is so special about the button to want to know if it is a copy or original? of what? It looks like an (old)ordinary button to me.

I found this metal button and other objects I have requested information on in this forum while metal detecting in what is now a jewel of a public park in Sacramento County Calif. In the past it was a ranch dating back to the 1800's. I also found a minie ball and another button there too. (Please see my previous posts for photos.) I found a large very old gate hinge buried near one of the huge oak trees that are still standing and have shaded much history. I

After talking to my mother ...you only have a part
Seems like you sew this part on and you cut a small piece of cloth to match your dress and place it on the base and snap a ring over it.
Now you have a button to match your dress. date of this button is 20s an 30s
fieldboy se va :detecting: