Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

button ID please

INRelicHound

here are some buttons i found awhile back and have tried to get positive IDs on them from several forums and have came up with a few guesses but no true ID. the first one is a button with no back mark i know it says CS but im not sure if its CW or not? the second on eis a flat button and on the back just above where the shank was is a small eagle. the 3rd. ive seen teh seal before but never a button like it. and the last has a faint picture of a buffalo in the center and i can make out "every last buffalo" above the head,no back mark.any help would be appreciated. thanks.

hi relic hound! the cs button is interesting, but i don't think it's civil war period. i think it may be a veteran's button [kind of like the G.A.R. buttons,] only this one belonged to a confederate veteran around the turn of the century. i've seen this button somewhere before. the small cuff sized great seal button is definetly 1902 or newer, as that was the year the great seal buttons were introduced. the flat button with the eagle on it [probably a maker's mark] is pretty old too, flatbuttons generally stopped being made around the 1890's, and were cut from old clothing and re-used. i hope this helps you. i had 356 looks but only one good guess on a whatzit i posted on here. it just drives me crazy sometimes trying to figure out what it is i've [and others] have found. but, that's part of the fun of it! hh,

thanks for the help. i didnt think the cs button was from the CW but wasnt 100% sure,ive found bunch of cw eagle buttons and what nots but none in that kinda shape. thanks for the reply.

Well I will try this again as I apparently sent the last effort to the void...sigh.

I could not find the eagle button per se. Did find some in the NY State Civil War era that had eagles in that position, but the shape of the eagle you have in yours appears to be fuller in the wings and they are stretched a bit more than the NY version. I did find something similar in W. Tice's Uniform Buttons of the United States, 1775-1865 at Plate B-3 No. 3 where there is an eagle of that size in the same position, but it's "spread eagle" versus the form in your button. The text notes that there were some variations to this design which was used by Robinsons Jones & Co. from 1828-1834. So it could be that.

The C.S. button I couldn't find, because, um, well - "I be an Yank." Sorry, so my books are oriented that way for the work/research I do. I did find one in a yahoo image search that was corroded that seemed similar at www.greybirdrelics.com but when I click that search ["CS" button] I get a 404 not found message and it's not on the website. So, that is a bit odd.

Rod