Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

button help

TNHunter

Went out today with Richard from Backwoods detectors and fought cool rain in east TN. I was getting skunked until I found 2 buttons and 3 ringer.
The first button appears to be cuff button. I can see some gilt and stars around the edge. I also can see a shield in center. I think it is officers cuff button. Is there a way to clean off grren to gilt better or should I leave it alone. The other button is union cuff button that has seen better days. Shanks are intact on back of both. I can see back mark on cuff button but cant read it. The 3 ringer has been fired but has flat base. Any help?
Paul

Nice finds, TN. It is indeed a Union staff officer's cuff button and an enlisted eagle cuff.

It is difficult to say without examining the button in person as to the best means to clean it. I'm concerned with what appears to be a bit of missing rim right at your thumb nail in one picture.

Perhaps the easiest or most gentle is the warmed peroxide bath. The full strength dose is: enough peroxide in the bottom of a Styrofoam cup to cover the button, heat the peroxide in a mic for 35-40 seconds and drop in the button.

HOWEVER, in your case, I would recommend 10 seconds of heating in a microwave and then ease the button into the solution. Repeat as needed, increasing the heat time only if you feel the button has suffered no structural impact.

The concern here is how solid is the button? Can it withstand the fizzing action or is it as fragile as eggshells? Right now, only you can make that determination.

Hope this helps. And get a second opinion if you're not certain. Always good to have!

Richard

Thanks mat try that next week. Officers cuff button appears stable structurally I see the rim you are talking about so will go slow. Eagle coat button is fragile and will plan to leave it alone. The small cuff button has a lot gilt on it but all the green patina on top of it.
Paul