Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Building a vessel, "The Traditional Way."...

Ron J

[attachment 50726 GloucesterMass020.jpg]Welcome to the Gloucester (Massachusetts) Maritime Heritage Center! This a small gem,relating to the heritage of shipbuilding,repairing,and the fishing industry. It is home to the Burnham Brothers Railway,a facility that hauls boats out of the water,on rails,for any repairs needed.This rail was built in 1856! Powered by a steam engine prior to being electrified,and still in operation.[attachment 50727 GloucesterMass024.jpg] The chain links weigh 40lbs each! This is an old fishing trawler,being converted for a company in Boston. (that owns the "TEA PARTY" ship,Beaver II, During summer,(in Boston)they perform the revolt against taxation by the British,by dumping the cargo of Tea overboard.)The plan is to involve this vessel as part of the attraction,but first having it converted to the period,being inacted. I was told this trawler,turned out to be quite rotted,and appears only the keel is original to me.She was built in 1936,motor driven.Fished by the same family for 58 years! Alot of work,and $$ are being put to effort,but its gonna be worth it.[attachment 50728 GloucesterMass022.jpg][attachment 50729 GloucesterMass021.jpg][attachment 50730 GloucesterMass023.jpg][attachment 50731 GloucesterMass026.jpg]The sides are being raised 5 feet,engine removed,pilot house removed,Masts/rudder to be installed.A Stern galley also installed. You gotta love this type of work! I personally enjoy looking!:D Her new name will be ELEANOR.

n/t

And to think 500 yrs. ago wooden ships that proved ocean worthy were built with primitive tools. Talk about impressive craftmanship. No other word but impressive !:thumbup:

of building them that way has to be making it tough to continue the boatsmith trade.

Nice photos!

it is appreciated! That is the besy view i ever had of traditional ship building, Thanks!

n/t

do you think we can get em to dump kennedy into the harbour??? :lmfao: