Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Broke into 1800's need help with clean up.

FarmerJ

HHHHAAAAAAA!!! finally broke into the 1800's like all you Eastern folks. (I live in Cal). Anyhow I have a new computer so I apologize but it will take awhile to post a pic but today I found a 1894 V nickel and have no idea how to clean it. Could somebody give me some help???

Most collectors will tell you not to clean your finds, and you really shouldn't... It will decrease it valve. But I personally clean a lot of mine. At least the surface crud...

Simply household way: Give it a hot water bath with some baking soda and a wad of aluminum foil rinse and repeat.

Congratulation on the old find and

HH,

Tom

Congratulations on the V. and breaking into the 1800s :bouncy: :clapping:

I would post up a picture before you clean it as stated above cleaning it will decrease its value.
Type in "numismatic views on cleaning coins" or something like that on the net you will get views and opinions on cleaning coins.

If, you must clean it I personally would go with warm distilled water and a toothbrush but, that is not going bring its natural nickel color back as it will still be dark brownish to red in color.
Sometimes, the natural way they are found is what makes them so neat. Every find has a story and a past and being your first coin in the 1800s (memorable) I would leave it as is.
Polishing it up will make it more legible to read etc. but, imho takes away part of the uniqueness of the find.
Congrats again !!!!!!!!!

My shields, V's and buffs usually come out of the ground in horrible shape. Not just discoloration but a corrosive buildup beginning to eat away at the coin. I don't like to clean my finds but I also don't like to look at allot of cruddy common date coins either. Common date V's and buffs in rough shape usually either go for a ride in the tumbler or get a soft brass brush and some liquid comet in my house. Both methods make nickels look good, I like the soft brass brush a litttle better. Again, I wouldn't try it on anything of great numismatic value though.

I agree with the poster's......A light cleaning is all it will need.

It looks good in any collection, You don't want it shiny and new looking.

Just my opinion of course........

Congratulations on your find. On occasion I find silver and bronze hammered coins from past centuries. Some are heavily encrusted. There are several ways to clean encrusted silver. I prefer a bath of diluted lemon juice. I'll take a half a cup of boiled water and add two or three table spoons of lemon juice and brush the coins with a clipped tooth brush every day. This reduction process can be enhanced by adding a flat rusty piece (powdery rust) iron on top of the silver item. It will take some time to clean but it won't harm your precious. I never clean or polish coins that have a nice patina to shine. But this method will make it shine. A rub with graphite powder (pencil core/lead) can bring the details back out.

There was a guy on here long ago that used ketchup to clean nickles. I tried it and it worked but didnt make it shiny. I ended up trying about every method on common coin.