Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Brass tag

cisne

I found this tag at a site of an old log structure in North Carolina. The text reads: " The PORTAGE AKRON OHIO 523 GRIP". It is 1 7/8" x 1 1/2" x 1/32 thick made of brass. Any ideas of what it is?

Thanks in advance
Jim

I once found a bunch of tags like that. They where labeled "Alaska Steamship Co. Seattle" if my memory serves me correctly. Mine had a leather strap still attached when I found them so they could be tied to or around something. What came to mind was laundry but I could be wrong there.

Nice Find. Any business in the area called "The Portage"?

I wonder if it could be from this Hotel in Akron?

http://www.ci.akron.oh.us/history/photos/toweb/PortageHotel_x600.jpg

It is a luggage tag, Possibly from portage hotel. They were used by anyplace that moved your luggage,railroads, hotels, ship lines, ect.

Yep, Taz has it. Baggage tag, much like the airlines today when they put the paper sticker around the handle of your suitcase identifying your bag's intended destination.

Very nice piece. I've always thought these were interesting relics.

Richard