Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Box suppers and Cakewalks....

JB(MS)

From the time I started school in 1949 until it was consolidated in 1958 I attended Pine Grove school. Pine Grove was a backwoods redneck country school and was a tough place for anyone who wouldn't stand up for themselves. All of the students except 4 or 5 were sharecroppers kids and it was common for a student to be 3 or 4 grades or more behind. When I was in the third grade one of my classmates was 15 years old but he quit before the school year was out.

There wasn't much money in the community, and not enough coming from the state to support the school, so two or three times a year the school would have a box supper and cakewalk to raise money. The women and girls in the community would cook the box meals and cakes and donate them to the school for the box supper and cakewalk. For those who don't know, a box supper is where the women cooked a meal, put it in a box and the school had an auction to sell the box of food. The men and boys bid on the boxes and when a box was won the winner and the lady or girl who made the box would eat together. For a cake walk, a big circle was drawn on the oiled wooden floor of a classroom with chalk and marked off in squares with each square numbered. To win a cake required paying a fee, usually a quarter, and lining up with others who had paid until every square was occupied. Then the person running it would say go and people would walk around the circle until they said stop. Then a number was drawn from a box and the person who was standing on the square with the same number that was drawn would win a cake.

The box supper auction was a hoot. The young men would try to find out what girl or woman made which box so they could bid on one made by a pretty girl or lady. The older men wanted to get a box by the best cook. The bidding was hot and heavy for some boxes and some boxes barely would get a bid. The one woman that no one wanted to get her box was Carrie Taylor. Carrie was at least 6'5", skinny as a rail, had unmanageable red hair and an extraordinarily long neck. I won't go so far as to say she was ugly but she was very unfortunate when it came to the looks department. To add percieved insult to injury, she was a terrible cook and the unlucky male who won the bid for her box was ragged unmercifully. I know Carrie couldn't help but be hurt and embarrassed but she never showed it and was always one of the first to get there with her box supper.

If two or more young men thought a particularly pretty girl made a certain box the bidding would get out of hand. C.B. Bickerstaff once bid 15 dollars on a box, wages were 75 cents an hour for public work here then, if a job could be found, and 15 dollars was half a weeks work. Needless to say he won and got to eat with the prettiest girl there. Occasionally a young man would win a box made by another young man's sweetie and a fight would take place. That didn't happen often and the fight was quickly broken up but it was exciting to a youngun' like me.

I haven't heard of a box supper or cake walk being held in this part of the state since Pine Grove school was consolidated with the school at Nettleton in 1958, but if I hear of one being held in this area I'll have to go and watch it. Things just might be better if folks still did those kind of things, for sure life was much more simple and, for some of us old fogey's, more enjoyable in those days.

I have never attended an event like that before but it sounds like it would be the event of the year for many. I didn't start school until 1957. Although I was brought up in a very poor family, our public schools were well supported. Still, the memories are so thick some days you could cut them with a knife. You are so right about a simpler, more enjoyable time and way of life. Thanks for the story.

I started school in a small rural school where money was always a problem.Chili suppers,cakewalks anything to raise money for needed supplys.I remember always having a fun time and nearly every parent being involved.How things have changed.....

Good story.

the world was a fine and simple place in those days and i remember them well but cannot describe them like you can.:thumbup:

box dinner bidding, but when I was in elementary school, each room would have a bake sale. Our mothers would send home baked goodies, then before lunch the children from the other grades would get to come visit and buy a treat. This happened every year for raising money for our end of school picnic fund, up until I was in the fifth grade.

I remember in the sixth grade, one of the first announcements made was that the local health department would no longer allow these bake sales, because it was not sanitary enough! Now if your momma's kitchen was anything like my momma's, there was nothing there but good ole home made cooking!

Government has ended many things that gave a lot of people pleasure! Sometimes the churches here will still have a good old fashion cake walk, and they are a lot of fun. The only trouble is that many women do not cook, and will bring a Mrs. Smith's brand heat and eat pie! The older women will still bring those good mile high coconut or chocolate cake! Those are a real treat if you land on the square whose number is called on one of these, for sure!

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, J.B.! :)

I realize that at times I romanticize about simpler times but I honestly believe that things were just purer then. Things that were sacred were treated as such. And not without humor and fun. I'd love it if you posted more stories like that ! That was a most enjoyable read.:thumbup:

memory provoking :D I remember the box socials but had forgotten all about the cakewalk. I remember them now.

I was pretty young the last one I can remember going to. My dad bid on a lunch for me and I was scared to death. The girl was ancient, probably 16 year old and I could barely talk.

Those that know me can hardly believe it but I used to be extremely bashful and could never think of anything to say. Heck, I have a hard time believing that one!

Back then something like a box social was just that, a social event and people looked forward to seeing their friends. Something has been lost. Sad.

Thanks for waking up another memory. We didn't have much either but didn't know it. Nobody we knew did either

I won a chocolate cake in a cakewalk when I was 8 years old. It wasn't very good, too dry and the chocolate icing was hard as a rock, but I couldn't have been prouder if it had been a million dollars :).

I've been working 7 days a week for the last couple of months, 60+ hours a week, and haven't been online much. I've checked a couple of detecting forums occasionally but have been neglecting this one, really haven't had the energy or interest to do any writing. Looks like we'll be working long hours for a long time. Our biggest competitor went out of business and we got their customers, that's good for the future of True Temper and the employees but bad in that we'll have to work so much. I plan on retiring sometime during the first half of next year, maybe I can make it that long.

I finally can relax a little. I say I can but I don't becasue there is so much I enjoy doing and I try to do it all.

I worked 7 twelves for a long time and it is killing and steals a big chunk of your life.

Love your story's

n/t

and nobody in the 50 to early 60's age group recalled those types of things. Church picnics and things like that, ya, but the cakewalk, nope ! I think that would have been neat as a youngster. Ya got me by three or four years.........granny !!:lol:

only they were called Box Socials. Usually they were put on by the church to fund something that was going on. The school where my wife used to teach had cake walks on the last day of school at the picnic.

Dave