Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bottlecap Nightmares! Please help!

rufus3898

I am loving my new sov gt but the bottlecaps are killin' me!:stars: Any hints on what to do lessen the chance of digging them? I am sure with time i'll notice subtle differences that will allow me to not dig as much junk. Until then i'll be asking questions for pointers. Thanks All

most BC's have a null on the outer edge both left and right on the swing.about the only one's that still fool me are the Blue BL beer caps.just be sure you are running in Disc and set at #0.i prob dig about 2 BC's a day but they are the ones that are iffy on the sound.

Rufus use the disc and notch controls,that is what they are made for.Don't listen to everything you read on this forum.Read the manual on disc and notch.All this about hunting in 0 disc 0 notch is bull crap.A lot of areas were people gather are trashed up and you need disc control.If this forum keeps telling people(new guys) to hunt this way they might as well throw the detector in the closet the first day!.If you guys are going to hunt this way throw the Sov in the trash and go get a pulse induction metal detector with real depth.All this about hearing what is in the ground is bull.I would not trust tone iding a target.

rufus3898 said:
I am loving my new sov gt but the bottlecaps are killin' me!:stars: Any hints on what to do lessen the chance of digging them? I am sure with time i'll notice subtle differences that will allow me to not dig as much junk. Until then i'll be asking questions for pointers. Thanks All

rufus I agree with Bling, you will be able to tell bottle caps just give it a little time. take one of those bottlecaps you find and put it on the ground and about 12" away put a coin or ring and listen to the difference.
I would stay away from any disc if you could, since your finding so many bottlecaps Im guessing your beach hunting and the more disc you use the more of a chance masking will occur or you will just flat out disc out small rings. The Sov comes preset in disc to ignore small iron.
A lot of thin rings fall in the foil range below nickel so be careful if you decide to raise the disc above 0.

Neil

Brokensignal said:
Rufus use the disc and notch controls,that is what they are made for.Don't listen to everything you read on this forum.Read the manual on disc and notch.All this about hunting in 0 disc 0 notch is bull crap.A lot of areas were people gather are trashed up and you need disc control.If this forum keeps telling people(new guys) to hunt this way they might as well throw the detector in the closet the first day!.If you guys are going to hunt this way throw the Sov in the trash and go get a pulse induction metal detector with real depth.All this about hearing what is in the ground is bull.I would not trust tone iding a target.

The tone ID on the Sov is very accurate even at depths and so is the meter.

Neil

If you are talking the older crown caps they are called these are iron and should null or a broken up signal that is not repeatable. Now if you are talking the newer alum screw caps these will read at the new zinc penny or slightly higher with some as close as a good coin will. Now if you will notice doing a air test you can not disc out or even notch out the new zinc penny or anything higher. The highest settings will even get a few pull tabs, so disc and notch will do you no good at all.As Neil says the Sovereign has the best tone and visual ID of any detector, but you have to get to know this detector and the tones it makes which is done by experience. On a alum screw cap I find on a 180 they will read 1 number higher than a zinc penny so in my case a zinc penny and the IH plus some of the first Wheaties will read 176-177 if calibrated to 180 on a new dime or quarter. The alum screw cap will read 177-178 and sound just a little different than a coin from experience with it.
Where the disc and notch works good for me is in parks where there is a lot of pull tabs where I get tired of listening to so many of them I will use the notch. I find the ones that are more troublesome and notch that area out which in 99% of the time are the new style ones, so I turn up the notch while swinging the GT over the tab until it nulls or the signals breaks up. In my case it has been maxed notch so to me I just max it out and get rid of those tabs and still get the lower tabs that read in the nickle area where most gold rings also read.
No detector is perfect and never did run any detector without lot of disc, but with the Sovereigns with its tone and 180 meter and a little experience is the most accurate detector running 0 disc and 0 notch and where I run mine 99% of the time. Listen to the people that has experience with the Sovereigns and those finding the deeper stuff as you will learn a lot from them.

Rick

hi all. I only hunt soil parks, no beaches. I have no meter yet so I am going by tone. The caps are the crown caps I am having trouble with. It'll probably take a little ear training to notice the crown caps. I have used this sov for only a week now with considerable gains. Digging pennies at 7" makes me a believer! Thanks all.

Bottle caps have broke ton at beginning and end, it is easy to hear with experience.rick what is your meter?

Rufus,I usually run 0 dis and 0 notch.These old city parks I hunt have layers of trash.Never had any problems with crown caps,There are some aluminum screw caps that will be difficult,which will read 180.Get a meter life would be much easier most caps will give a 178 blip.Without a 180 meter my hearing isn't able to sort these high readings out.The meter will give you a lot of extra depth with the wiggle and meter climb.You haven't seen anything yet depth wise the Sovereign will ID coins very deep.Good Luck

A guy has a CD out on the tones of the Excalibur and it gives good examples to start learning what the different tones sound like. Perhaps I am wrong, but I have heard the Excal is just a waterproof version of the Soveriegn, so the CD made for the Excal may be of some use to a newbie Soveriegn user. I used it with the Excal and it wasn't the panacea but it certainly was another learning tool that helped move my skill level along. You can get that CD from Kellyco. If you follow some folks suggestions that you have to dig a thousand bottle caps before you'll learn it, the detector will end up in the closet. The cd clearly illustrates the sound of a bottle cap and it's one of the easier things to discriminate with you ears. There's even some sample parts of that CD available on the net. I don't remember the url. Maybe somebody could help rufus with that! Jim

n/t

Brokensignal said:
LOL i love to hunt behind guys like this....

I had to play around with my disc and notch using several test rings. I decided to take it to a park where lots of people watch their children play soccer. Its a good thing because I found a 14k ring. Yea for disc & notch. It really does work and using a test garden really helps.