Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bottle Caps

Jonny

I often hunt in dry sand at the beach (Tesors Bandido II Umax). I can discriminate out iron nails ect. from burnt pallet but the beer caps still ring up loud and clear, why is this? Jonny

Jonny said:
I often hunt in dry sand at the beach (Tesors Bandido II Umax). I can discriminate out iron nails ect. from burnt pallet but the beer caps still ring up loud and clear, why is this? Jonny

They are iron also. Strange!:confused:

The Bottle Caps are made of a different metal alloy than nails so the detector will read them different.
Sometime they even will come across sounding like a Quarter if they are bent.

My Xterra would discriminate them out but I borrowed a Tesoro it will not. I don't mean to badmouth the tesoro in any way because I was very impressed with it and plan to buy a used one if I can find it for a backup.

Bottle caps are made of all kinds of materials.

That's one reason it's so hard to completely disc them out.

If you disc them all out, you'll have turned off most the good targets.

I don't care how good a notch you got. It will have to notch from alum to above dime.

Lots of them are aluminum. Some have zinc and so on. Some rust, some don't.

I have the best results when I first dig them and maybe get a handle on what kinds
are prevalent. Then I know what they sound like and can decide to dig or not. This
is how I discriminate everything, except, I occasionally disc out iron in bad places.

I disc with my mind. That is the most important tool in anyone's arsenal. It's the only
one I can not do without,

Tabdog

I don't mind digging bottle caps as on my DFX many copper coins read the same thus a good chance it being a coin. :detecting:

As Tabdog said not all are iron, some have a thin covering of another metal. (i.e. zink as someone said)

The zink is to prevent a too quick rusting of the iron.