Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bon Voyage to the USS JOHN F KENNEDY....

Ron J

The KENNEDY,launched in 1967,at Newport News, Virginia,is going to be decommissioned.This docking at Boston this week,is her farewell visit! Its been here before,4Th of July,1990,and again in July 2000. Due to the antisapated crowds to go on board,a friend and myself,decided to go on a small cruise ship to see the Carrier,from the harbor.It was only an hour cruise,with no lines,and it was terrific!Been awhile,since i visited the harbor,by boat.[attachment 49960 USSKENNEDU030.jpg] This baby is BIG! 1050'in length,128'berth.Capable of 30 knots!Crew of 3100,+ 2400 Airwing.I feel fortunate being able to take these photo's.The line to go on board,was incredible,so the cruise was the wise choice,and only $22.00[attachment 49961 USSKENNEDU019.jpg][attachment 49962 USSKENNEDU023.jpg][attachment 49963 USSKENNEDU033.jpg][attachment 49964 USSKENNEDU049.jpg][attachment 49965 USSKENNEDU037.jpg]

The Law was buzzing around the Harbor,and appeared to be enjoying it! I would too,especially if i didn't foot the bill for the fuel!! :D [attachment 49967 USSKENNEDU012.jpg][attachment 49968 USSKENNEDU013.jpg][attachment 49969 USSKENNEDU011.jpg][attachment 49970 USSKENNEDU015.jpg][attachment 49971 USSKENNEDU016.jpg][attachment 49972 USSKENNEDU031.jpg]

This old tug,is home to the family,who runs the small cruise vessel toured with. The Captains son,informed me,was built in the 40's as a Minesweeper.As you can see,she is rough,too bad,but would cost megabuck$ to restore,but it is there home![attachment 49974 USSKENNEDU006.jpg] This Tug was partially sunk for years,on the Charles River,however,volunteers,received a grant,and got her Seaworthy,to float safely.Mechanically,she is dead,but the volunteers,are still plugging away to save her.[attachment 49975 USSKENNEDU001.jpg][attachment 49976 USSKENNEDU002.jpg][attachment 49977 USSKENNEDU004.jpg]Her original metal lifeboat![attachment 49978 USSKENNEDU005.jpg] My father used to bring the family to the fishing piers,in the late fifty's,and this area would have 50 or so trawlers,at the docks.Today,its a dying industry.[attachment 49979 USSKENNEDU067.jpg]

This station is built on the same spot,the USS Constitution was built,back in the 1700's![attachment 49981 USSKENNEDU060.jpg][attachment 49982 USSKENNEDU058.jpg][attachment 49983 USSKENNEDU063.jpg][attachment 49984 USSKENNEDU064.jpg] Here is a couple showing some great looking buildings. The RED vessel,in the middle,is a former LIGHTSHIP,the NANTUCKET.It has been fully restored,as a live-on vessel.[attachment 49985 USSKENNEDU065.jpg]

awsome from a boat along side. This is an interesting picture show!! I remember being to Boston a few times and it was always interesting to see the ships in the harbor.

You've posted some beauties before and this one was no exception. To think a ship like that is now obselete !! What an awesome vessel !! One day I've got to see Boston and it's history.......no two ways about it ! Form the Luna to the site where the Constitution was built....simply awesome !:thumbup:

I bult models of both the "Enterprise" and the "JFK". They were both over three feet long. Sadly they have long since succumbed to the ravages of small family members.

You did a smart thing Ron, they said on TV that people would be turned away after 9am due to the numbers.

then place them on narrow boards,add fresh glue to the decks,float them in the river,light-em up,and while they were "burning",we would "bomb" them with rocks! Typical 10 yr olds!