Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Bon Voyage" for this Lady!

Ron J

like the rest of you, Massachusetts has had unsually warm weather, till the last week or so. Now everything is iced in. Seen it worse though. This is Lynn Harbor,iced in.Some fools failed to haul out there boats. Here is the last voyage,other than to a scrap pile,for this OL Lady! Appears someone has been taking advantage of her,stripping her of steerage,and instruments.[attachment 48518 nahant007.jpg][attachment 48519 nahant012.jpg][attachment 48520 nahant015.jpg] This old Grady,appears to be headed to the scrap pile soon also.[attachment 48521 nahant017.jpg] Here is a vessel,that can handle the weather.[attachment 48522 nahant030.jpg]

I have always heard that if a boat is abandoned that it can be claimed by someone, especially on the high seas. I do not remember where I heard this, but do remember hearing it when I was a young boy.

When I was a young boy, a group of us found a fishing boat floating down the creek after some heavy flooding. We retrieved the boat and considered it ours...sorta "finders keepers losers weepers." For several days we were in hog heaven by owning our own fishing boat.

One day a man showed up at the creek and told us that was his boat and that he had come to get it. We told him it was now our boat because he lost all rights to ownership when he did not retrieve it after it broke loose from his dock. He started laughing at first, I guess he could not believe what he was hearing. Well, we stood our ground and told him he was not going to take our boat. Needless to say, he stopped laughing when he knew we meant business.

At that point, he got mean about the whole issue. He told us that he was going to take the boat or call the law on us. We told him not to get upset, just let us boys talk about it for a minute or two among our selves. Considering the fact that this was a big man and one that was starting to get mean, we decided to let him have the boat back. After hearing our decision, he became nice again and we helped him load it onto the flat bed trailer he had hooked to his pickup truck. At this time, we tried to get a finders fee from him. This started to make him angry again so we dropped the subject. That was the last we ever saw of that man and our new boat.

Ron, could we have held our ground and kept that boat? I know nothing about salvage boat laws as we only have creeks, rivers, and stock tanks down here in South Texas. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

you would not want it! First of all its WOOD! Most boat yards around here don't want to lift a wooden boat,too worried its rotted. Second,to get rid of this one,first gotta worry not to spill fuel or oil in the harbor. They will fine you. Then you need to cut it up. A dumpster with disposal fees will run about $500 at least. The aggravation you would go through would not be worth it. > As for ownership,any boat registered in Massachusetts,15 foot or larger,get titled,like a car. Remember this, "The BEST boat,is a FRIENDS boat". :D:

it looks classic to me. I did not know that folks do not want to work on wood boats as per se. Thanks for the information. Those boats fascinate me. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

If it is a drift, you can claim salvage rights to save the boat or secure it. There are contract rights, where your doing it for a insurance company and agreed price can be set or other conditions. This can be from doing diving work to get it back up, or to see how or why it sunk. If you pull it into your boatyard, Thats what my father and why I have a little info on it, you can charge for storage, pulling it out on the waves, repair etc. If its a documented vessel, it gets more complex. A lot of them are sunk on purpose to collect. We, my father bought a lot of them from the insurance company's and repaired them.

The lap streak planked boat like the one Ron has up are not fun to repair and few if any boatyards mess with wooden hulls these days. Like Ron says,they will have you pull them, then never come back. Again, if its big and documented, you go thru a year of BS with the coast guard and courts. Maritime law is tricky.

One that we never had to deal with and now Ron mentioned is the fuel and oil contamination laws and whats involved to for clean up. It can be very expensive on the water.

I still have a lot of BIG brass portholes, cleats, rudders, shafts I got while diving back then. I had always wanted to put them in my house but never did. They are worth a fair amount just for the brass or bronze.

I miss the ocean a lot. spent my youth on it. Even and hour inland where I live, I go to shoreline and the sound of the seagulls, the ocean smells, bring back some great memories. When I was growing up, most boat were still wooden, so we, mostly me, would caulk them, with cotton wicking, puddy etc. All our big lobster boats were Down East hulls up to 45 feet and where clinch nailed. I was the bucker upper on the inside. My Dad would drive them in and I would place the large hammer on the nail head as them came thru and he would finish driving and clinching them. Then there was the joy of sanding, and painting yearly. All red lead paint then. Yet, my Dad loved working on wooden boats and was very good at building them from scratch. He had a big steamer for the planks and ribs. Once he retired, he spent his retirement years at the Mystic Seaport repairing old sea going boats. I still have all his old spoke shaves and tools. He hated glass boats.

Jeez e,I got carried away on this one...

Take care George-Ct

U.S. Law? Also, are those old wood boats, if properly maintained, as safe as the Fiberglas boats? Some of those old wood boats are beautiful and classy looking. Thanks for the information. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

boats are just as safe,as glass,as long as they are kept up! Heck alot of them rode better. Its the constant upkeep,thats a pain,unless your a carpenter,with time on your hands,which i doubt. Growing up,my father had an old Novie lobsterboat,from the 1940's? Remember many times,him,and a neighbor,replacing a plank,recaulking the hull,or replacing a rib. I can really appreciate looking at any restored wooden boat,knowing the upkeep and workmanship that went into it. The area i live in is loaded with Marina's. There are only a couple that will store any wooden boats. Too many times,the owners will let them rot there. It is a shame. As i said earlier, the "best boat is a freinds boat!"

idiots have their boats setting at their docks and ignore them until it is too late. Ice can make a mess out of them. Some people have more money than sense

I have never understood why someone would risk drowning at sea when they could seek shelter on shore.

Another thing that I have never understood is why some sea ports are referred to as sheltered. What are they sheltered from when the storms destroy the boats when a major storm arises?

Sorry for being a pest, but this subject is interesting to me and you happen to live where the boat action is occurring. Please keep the pictures coming, I love them. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

both share the same experiences around boats. My Dad, and I always liked the lines=shape for non boaters, of a wooden boat. The shapes and how built made them shallow draft, like Novie hulls, or bow shear, etc all made them beautiful to look at on the water and how they went. To me, fiberglass hulls lost a lot of the lines when they first started do to being able to get them off the molds. Today they can get about any line they want. I've always been attached to the Down East hulls.

We used to get our boats built in Nova Scotia, but once we started with the larger 45 footers, we ran in a problem with American Maritime shipping laws. We finally got tired of fighting them and had almost the same hull built in Eastport, Maine. We hauled bare hulls out of there for years. We would get just the hull, and stack them on the 45 foot trailer one inside the other, to we hit our load limit. Once we got them back to our marina, we would put the floor timbers in them for engines, bulkheads etc. I used to like that part. Scribe them in, then go free hand cut them on the band saws. I always like the smell of the workshop with the planers running etc. I got pretty good at putting engines and stuffing boxes in.

If I recall, we had to drop the planked keel from the Novie hulls when we had them built in Maine. Didn't bother me any as I never liked filling them with tar to keep them from rotting seeing as I was the little guy who could fit in there and come out looking like a tar baby candy "remember those"? We supplied the lobster boat guys with boats and had 3 of our own running plus a big dragger for the restaurant we had on the water plus we had a lobster pound. Now that was fun. We ended up selling it some fellas from Bristol. Not sure if in Maine or Mass.

We were still mostly wooden when we sold our Marina, but later 2 of my Ironworker friends had a big Marina in Clinton, CT and they had big waves, walking gantry crane, and they got dumped on one winter big time.
One was a Chinese junk. I liked it,and they tried to give it to me, but it sat to long on the waves, again, documented vessel, so lots of paper work, back to when it was a freaking tree....LOL.... I went and helped in finally when it sold it cut up a heck of a lot of wooden boats. He then moved to Big Pine Island in the Keys and ran a place there, plus he was a stone crabber. We used to go there pretty often just to fish the shallows with fly rods for tarpon and barracuda. He has since moved from there, make a bundle on that place and is now on Cedar Key. Royal would like that place, kayak heaven...Fact Royal, Google Cedar Key...you would love it there. My buddy lives there now, smack on the water again. He is and old salt, never leave it.

I enjoy your pictures also. All are familiar to me, and bring nice memories of life on the shore. I'm a light house freak so enjoy seeing those and save them here. Spend a lot of summers in Easport Maine on the Bay of Fundy with the 45 foot tide drops listening to the fog horn light there. Music to sleep by. LOL... Take care...

George-CT

[quote Ron J]boats are just as safe,as glass,as long as they are kept up! Heck a lot of them rode better. Its the constant upkeep,thats a pain,unless your a carpenter,with time on your hands,which i doubt. Growing up,my father had an old Novie lobsterboat,from the 1940's? Remember many times,him,and a neighbor,replacing a plank,recaulking the hull,or replacing a rib. I can really appreciate looking at any restored wooden boat,knowing the upkeep and workmanship that went into it. The area i live in is loaded with Marina's. There are only a couple that will store any wooden boats. Too many times,the owners will let them rot there. It is a shame. As i said earlier, the "best boat is a freinds boat!"[/quote]

ice damage from guys running their boats thru window pain glass. About 1/4 thick ice will cut them up pretty good. The smart ones put copper sheathing's on them or had sacrifice planks on them for getting scallops in the bays in winter. That window pain ice would cut that stuff up like a skill saw almost.

George

ships are designed to withstand almost anything the seas can throw at them, when they have a good crew. They are not designed to survive being run aground, as the boats in Ron's pictures show. As long as they are at sea and kept headed into the oncoming seas they are in good shape. They get a following sea or get broadside to the sea and they are in trouble.

A sheltered port is one that has some kind of protection from the wind, thus the oncoming waves, which will beat the ships to pieces on the rocks or shore.

These are two examples. Ron can correct me if I am wrong.

[attachment 48639 sheltered1.jpg]

[attachment 48640 sheltered11.jpg]

different ones. Maritime Law that's regional, International Maritime Law, which I don't know much about as we never had to use even though on one salvage rescue that was out in the gulf stream, about 60 miles out, they tried to weasel out of payment saying beyond the 12 mile coastal limit they were in International waters and no obligations to pay us. As usual, it went to court, we won, but had to take the boat for salvage to get the money. We are on call with the coast guard then as a company called C-Tow. They contracted us to pull them in and they would bill.

Anyhow, there is also Admiralty Law on the high sea that was formed in England way back when. Depending on the country, they may or may not use it. I'd think, they pick the at the time that benefits them the most. Big ships with registration in say Panama or Libya and many others that favor big shipping company's. Sadly, China has become a big player in shipping. They run the largest of the oil shipping vessels I believe. Fact I was just reading a article that we contract their ships because its cheaper and are pretty much outsourcing even building them here. To go along with all that, there is even more laws to deal with collisions, harbour law, pilot-age, oil pollution, salvage, carrying passengers.

We dealt with normal boat people or fishing industry boats, for lobsters, dragging, offshore fisherman with engine problems or ran aground and the big factor, stupidity of the vessel operator. By stupidity I refer to one guy headed out offshore for tuna, who ran in between at tug and a barge back about a 1/2 mile at sea. It was clear as I recall, he should of seen the lights on both vessels, but he hammered right in between them only to shear off his entire flying bridge, upper running gear etc. Nice boat then at the time. And older wooden Egg Harbor, 42' twin engine. Seen it happen also with a Grand Banks also. Nice little 40 foot cabin rig, diesel, at night, and he hit the cable also, in fog, then slid down the cable, never tried to back off or go not thinking the barge was coming soon enough. The barge rolled him over and under. They all made it, banged up a little but the boat was gone. Insurance company put a diver down and said it was junk and left it at the bottom of 220 feet of water between Montauck Point NY, and Point Judith RI. I used the names because I'm sure Ron knows those points of land.

George-CT

Met to add, some or all of this may have changed alot. As I'm talking late 60's early 70's.

it's a pain, we always take our boat out of the water after a day of fun! Even here in Arkansas, you never know when the ice will do damage. Nothing as major as in your photos, but still, the investment is too much to just leave it there to chance! :)