Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Boating and Dogs...."No-Mon-E"

Ron J

Didn't really know quite how to title this post,cause I'm writing about the boat really,but it wouldn't be right,not to mention Sheba. Her,the water,and myself were like glue! She was given to me as a pup,back in 1979 i believe. She always had a ball around her.Rubbing the ball against your legs,or trying to get anyones attention,to throw it. She would even roll a ball down the driveway,and chase it. If i was shoveling snow,:( i had to throw some at her to catch. If i was going boating or driving in any of my cars,she was there.She was great with the kids,growing up also.If i was lying on the couch,she was either on it,with me,or at my feet. Now back to the boat! I acquired the boat,a 1960 Norwalk,as in Norwalk Conn.,for a bit of cash,and a car. Don't remember why,but i "had" to have it. She had been docked at Lancots Marina,in Danvers,10 minutes up river from my house.I kept her at that slip,for as long as i owned her,5 or 6 yrs.Couldn't keep her at the house,cause of tides.Would be sitting in mud,didn't want to chance,bending the shaft or prop. When ever i went to the slip,which was the furthest one away,as soon as i let Sheba,out of the car,she would proudly prance right down the ramp,and floats,right to the correct boat,and hop on.She wouldn't wait for anyone. I used to bring the guys/gals up river to Salem Willows pier,on Friday nights.One night,had 12 people on board.We were only cruising above idle,nobody was in any hurry. Going up & down the river,you get to see the same people over & over.Most sitting,relaxing on their boat,evenings and weekends. In the picture,you see Sheba sitting on the Captains chair.[attachment 60957 ScannedImage-21.jpg]That was where she SAT,most always.If not there,she would be on the engine box,lying down.If it got a little choppy,she would lay on the floor.She didn't like chops!If i sat on the seat,she would sit on the engine box,and stare at me.So i usually was standing next to her,steering. Quite a few times,going up river,if Sheba wasn't sitting on that seat,other boaters would holler "Wheres the Dog?" Guess she was the only dog,that was Captain? :) Back to the boat, She was wood,and i was no carpenter,but i kept her up,best i knew how.Named her "No-Mon-E". It was true... I was lucky over the years with her,minor problems,but not bad. The best thing was she had just had her transom replaced,most likely had rot, so i never needed to worry. The worst headache i had,for two seasons,was the 302 Ford, cutting out at higher throttle! I went crazy trying to figure that out.Could not find a blockage in the fuel system,carb was fine.I finally put a "T" fitting in the fuel line,and plugged in an outboard motor tank.She would get up and go. So i figured it had to be the tank,mounted inside the Transom. Next season,i yanked the tank. It was clean as a whistle,so i put it back together. Still had the trouble,never checked the vent,couldn't even find it,till i pulled the tank.It was 1/4 brass tubing,stuck through a little hole in the side of the hull.
The bulb lit one day,and i stuck a coat hanger in the vent.Guess what,a nice little moth nest,like cotton,came out. Imagine that,what an idiot.:rage: All fixed! Here she is, "No-Mon-E" back in 1986 i believe. Brought my Father,and Mom, to Cranes Beach,in Ipswich.They really enjoyed that trip.Gave Dad a chance to get behind the wheel,in waters,he knew well. Notice Sheba looking at me,wanting to hop in. She did after the photo was taken.[attachment 60960 ScannedImage-22.jpg] In 1989, i purchased a 21 ft Larson,cuddy. Gave the "No-Mon-E" to my daughter,and her boyfriend at the time.They used her for a couple yrs,and sold her.Probably long gone,who knows. Unfortunately,Sheba is long gone also,old age,hips went,had to put her down,yrs ago.Still miss her...but i know she had a great life,between boating and riding in cars. She loved it!! Rj

I remember seeing those around on the sound back then. Similar to the Bristol Bluefish, but that wasn't lap streak planked. Funny how many dogs enjoy boating as much as we do. Had one that didn't like seagulls on the dock and would just run at them and leap over the side trying to catch them. Looks like your entire family enjoyed that boat. Nice way to spend a summer for sure. Like you said, you would see the same people day after day on the docks or just lounging on board. I used to like to just cruise around the Thames River, trolling for bass at night. Water was dead calm,
lights all sparkling on the water, and again, that salt water smell. ONe nice treat I had was the USS Fulton, a sub tender was docked at the State Pier and they would show movies at night. Across the water I could hear them but not quite make them out. We would motor over, drop anchor and watch movies a lot in summer. Good times. I gave my older son George my boat about 4 years ago, 21 ft inboard/outboard and he has it there on the lake. I bought it new in 1973 and it never saw salt water for about 10 years. Even after that, if I took to the ocean or rivers, I would back it in a fresh water boat launch and run the engine on the trailer to get the salt off it and out of engine. Its still running strong for my son.

Geo

I think back at some of them in the cabin, with exposed fly wheel, heat, nice in winter if your lobstering or dragging for bait. Climb over it to get to the front berths. Fun stuff. Under the rear deck is better for sure. I thinking yours would have been under rear deck. I got good at working on them with my butt sticking up in the air like and ostrich. Bolt heads all eaten up from salt water. The oil change from hell...LOL... oh yeah, fun stuff.... yet, I miss it now.... The worst ones were the draggers with what was left of bait in the bilge. That could cause one to loose breakfast fast.

Geo

Had great access,pull the box off,or go below,turn around,and take off a small cover. Could get at everything,like a car with no grille or radiator taken out.

n/t