Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Boat trip yesterday........

Wayne in BC

We launched the new toy yesterday morning about 60 miles south of here and "sailed" her home....if you can call it sailing in a 50 mph water machine :shock: 450 horses!
Today we put the final important touches on her.....all the fishing gear:D
The builder did a fantastic job, every detail was attended to, including the Champagne!
She is a 31 ft welded aluminum boat and much prettier than i expected. I could not even afford the dang trailer:lol:

Wayner

Lets see....60 miles south.. Duncan?????

Sunny skies

M

Thanks for posting the pictures Wayne!! You know how to pick ex-brother in laws!

looking. I like the lines of the entire vessel. What did he power it with, gas or diesel?

Swampy-CT

gas, twin 225 hp Yamaha 4 strokes. Much more room in the boat that way and always a "spare" motor.:D
He has always been a trucker, owns a fairly big fleet and said no way he was gonna have a "stinkin diesel!" on his boat :lol: To answer Mike, yes it was Duncan, its a "lifetimer" and he can afford the fuel. It cost 160 bucks to go from Duncan to Qualicum, yeeps! Break-in time on the motors uses a lot more fuel. It will average 16 gallons an hour at 30 mph. Top speed is near 50 mph.
Dang boat cost a quarter million, basic hull for a 30 footer is now 106 thousand, those Yamahas are 23 thou apiece. Lots of other extras, 20 thou for electronics, rosewood flooring and cupboards (his wife ;) )9 thou for the trailer, special paint, etc etc. Me the "deck hand" comes real cheap, hee hee!

Wayner

both. I grew up in a boat yard my father had. Then it was all wooden boats, so it was cauling yearly, replanking and then a lot of the boats had car engines in them we would replace pretty often. Fiberglass was just catching on as he sold the marina in the mid 70's. Then most of the smaller fishing boats, were wooden/plywood, GreyDwhites, Thomapson, PenYan, Lyman, Luhrs. bigger stuff at our yard were Egg Harbors, American Foundrys, Grand Banks, Fiberglass Bertrams, and Cobia, Weldcrafts were the nicer glass boats then and still out. My buddy has a Blackfinn, he fishes off Montauck LI with a lot, but its rought on fuel....A night of tuna is 300 gallons of fuel, fishing out to 60 miles or in the Gulf Stream.

I really enjoyed the boats. I lived at the boat yard on and old 46 foot Sloop. Also wooden that someone dumped on us because the could not pay the haul bill on it. We had it there for about 7 years then sold it to another guy who used it for a cottage also. We sold new boats also for fishing and lobstering or dragging. We had them build in Eastport, Maine. Down Easters. shallow draft, easy moving hulls, beautiful lines on them, but again, wooden, plank hulls, even planked keels. Very stable boat. We kept one in Eastport as we went there once a month to bring boat hulls back on a 45 foot trailer so while there loading we did a lot of Cod and Pollack, fishing in the Bay of Fundy....Tricky place to learn the waters with the big tide drops.

I enjoy seeing your fishing pictures and catches and the different boats. Bring back some great memories just like these now. We sold Johson Outboards then...Prices sure have changed.
Then I think the biggest were 125 HP. Most of our draggers were diesel, the lobsters boats were gas then, either car engines, or Chrysler Marine engines.

I knowback then the few alumium boats they had were having problems with paint sticking....Then made changes alot and I'm not sure what ever finally worked.

OH yeah, our boat yard, was the test center in Connecticut for the Boston Whaler. We had a booth at the New York boat show and met the guy who owned the Boston Whaler and he sent us 3 of them per year to beat on, then they would pick them up in the fal and and cut them up looking for problems.... I had a nice little 16 footer for a summer with a 60HP on it, I beat to death, Actually it beat me to death as it was a hard ridding sucker. I would fish Race Rock with it...Very nasty piece of water. We would go for blue fish and strippers every day, I came off one wave so hard I broke the outboard motor mount that clamps on the transom. I see they have gotten much larger also with twin big outboards on them.....

Yamaha is a pretty nice engine...I see alot of them here and in the Keys....At my buddys in the Keys, they need to get up fast because of the shallow water then run it around there....Seems like they all have twin yamahas on them. I know the water cops do and they fly around there.

Does he have any living quarters on that or just sleeping quarters? All the bigger work boats we had just had trunk cabins on them and say 4 bunks stuffed in the bow and a head. Even the cookstove was wood on one of them...I still have it here..... Did design the cabin and hull or was it build from a set of plans by another builder?

Swampy

afford ANOTHER gas guzzler. Do you realize that's 16 galloons of fuel an hour, at 30 miles an hour? Hafta catch and sell lotsa fishes to pay for this bad boy! :)

somewhere you can share, and lots more stories. This is something I have never been around. To take a boat out and catch fresh lobster and tuna! Tell us some more about it. Share some of your part of the world. :please:

450 horse!!!i guess if they can afford the boat they can afford the gas.:Dbet it's got all the latest navagation,weather and radio's on it.thunder and lighting huh,i guess edmond fitzgerald wouldn't be a lucky moniker in canada:).everytime a i see a canadian vessel on the water i hear gordon lightfoot's voice.

looks like the weather was great,bet you and your friends had a great day.

I recognise most of the names.
He has only a forward berth, plenty large for two people. The table makes into another bed. A full galley with stove and fridge. Bathroom with shower. Lots of storage below deck with the outboards instead of an inboard engine.
He and his wife designed the cabin layout and it was done by a builder. There is no problem with paint on the aluminum now.
It is really just a weekender/fishing boat.
Wayne

20% larger than your gallons. I could not afford to run it at $1.09 per liter or $5.00 per gallon, that is 50 bucks an hour just for fuel!

pretty darn expensive! I have no idea what it is like to have that much money, but i sure would like to learn!:D

yes lots of fancy electronic nav gear, gps, chart plotter,radar, autopilot, sonar, all on one large screen also satelite radio.

g.lightfoot song i know but it's title escapes me,one of the verses had"sometimes i think it's a sin" in it.you know how it is,you hear a catchy tune on the radio and it sticks with you.

songs i hated when i was younger when i hear some now seem to have gotten better over the years.:D