Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Black sand field test Salisbury Ma. 4 machines & pics

pb-to-au

[attachment 43634 MVC-001S.JPG][attachment 43635 MVC-002S.JPG][attachment 43636 MVC-003S.JPG][attachment 43637 MVC-004S.JPG][attachment 43638 MVC-005S.JPG][attachment 43639 MVC-007S.JPG]Recently took a pile of metal detectors to the beach for head to head comparisons on the NASTY purple/black sand strip that shows up after a good blow. Machines were Fisher 1280-x Fisher cz-20 and Minelab Excaliber and X-terra 70. Results are only for the black sand strip and don't represent results that can be translated to imply the whole beach. For example,although it sucks in the black sand, the best machine for Salisbury beach is the 1280-x hands down because of it's great ability to run in an area literally PEPPERED with iron debris, large and small, super fast swing speed with no problem on the trash as far as recovering from a disced out signal,excellent audio disc for iron, etc.

Anyway, target was a medium size thin 14k band buried 7 inches and covered with pure black sand. The natural layers of this awful stuff can be from 1 to 4 inches thick, but we tamped down the hole with pure balck sand. All metal detectors were set with the lowest disc possible at the highest sens. possible. The only machine able to pick up the ring (with a couple of inches to spare) was the cz-20.Also the X-terra could find it IF you ground balanced it well and ran in PINPOINT MODE. You could also detect it in prospect and all metal mode BUT you could not hunt in those modes, too many spurious signals. Pinpoint mode was noisy but you could work effectively in this mode.Naturally this is an all metal mode and the meter tells you nothing, if it beeps, you dig. Modes 1-2-3 you could not pick up the target, in fact the X-terra nulled out over the ring. The cz-20 was fairly quiet and pleasant to use. The 1280-x was quiet but failed to pick up the ring. The Excaliber was overwhelmed by the mineralization and nulled out about a foot from the ground and was totally unable to find the ring.Placing the ring at one inch depth, and testing the two machines that could not find the ring at depth, gave the folowing results: 1280-x about 2-3 inches with bad scratchy audio, the excaliber nulled out on the black sand and could not "see" the ring until the coil almost touched it! Totally degraded audio signal too.Finally, I took a photo of my water hunting scores for this fall,all from fresh water with the Excaliber and a Wot coil. When is winter coming, I need to put this info to use after a three day Nor'easter!!!

I GET VERY GOOD DEPTH THERE WITH MY BEACH HUNTER ID..I HUNT IN ALL METAL AND USE THE VISUAL ID. THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO HUNT THERE W/BH.ID WHEN THE PURPLE SAND IS THICK!!!ALOT OF OTHER DETECTORS I TRIED TO USE IN THE PURPLE SAND THERE WOULD FALSE AND PERFORM POORLY. BH.ID RUNS VERY STABLE FOR ME TOO...PI PRO RAN GREAT BUT THAT BEACH IS LOADED WITH IRON AND SHREDDED JUNK!! YOU KNOW!! IT DROVE ME CRAZY!! HOPE I RUN INTO YA SOME TIME!! 3 DAY NOR'EASTER WOULD BE A DREAM COME TRUE!!!!! HH

Nice research, and fantastic collection from the lake water.

I don't have the funds for multiple detectors and don't have much if any black sand. I'm also setting up a hooka syatem. What detector would you recommend for salt and fresh, out of those 3?

Depends on your area. A toss up between the Excaliber and the cz-20 which is no longer manufactered. Sometime avilable on ebay at around $800-$900. Sometime a 'new old stock' one shows up with the original warrenty card from an authorized dealer in which case the unit has a LIFETIME warrenty which is nice. But then again you can get a WOT 15 inch coil for diving with the Excaliber and get those BIG classrings down to 16-17 inches deep. Regular rings only an inch or so better but BIG difference on BIG rings. If you put a gun to my head, I would say the Excaliber.