Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Black Gold and Black Bears................

Wayne in BC

In the spring of 1966 i was working for "Great Canadian Oilsands" (owned by Sunoco) in Ft McMurray Alberta.
We lived in a camp of some 2500 men 20 miles from the then small town of Ft McMurray and had little entertainment unless you liked to gamble or drink:blink:

My buddy and i both liked to fish and the fishing was spectacular in that remote area on the Athabasca river. We took full advantage and had a ball! Now the caterers and cooks at that camp were all Portugese and we soon found out that they were fanatics about fish so we dropped off a mess of Walleye one day at the kitchen. Cripes! You would have thought we had given them a sack of gold instead of fish the way they carried on! We promised to keep the fresh fish coming and for that we could do no wrong and got the absolute best meals of anyone in that camp!
The kitchen was normally off limits for us but we were welcome anytime and i started to get fat for the first time in my young life, went from 165 to 225 in several months :biggrin:

Earlier that spring my buddy and i had been sent down to Marcus Hook PA to Sunoco's big refinery on a training course for 4 weeks. That was an interesting trip, very little work, full wages plus a nice expense account, rental car, and we partied! One day my buddy dragged me into a pawn shop and pointed to an old Webley .38 pistol saying ........i always wanted a pistol and i'm gonna buy that one cause its only 30 bucks! I, having some experience with handguns said......first of all that is a wimpy old pistol (we called them Wobbly Webleys) and .38 special is way under powered. Secondly, they are illegal in Canada unless you have a permit! He promptly ignored my advice and bought it anyway, then smuggled it home in his luggage:shrug:

Then one day when we were in the kitchen gobbling pastries and generally BSing, the cooks were complaining about the Bears being too aggressive down at the dump about a mile from the camp. They were not waiting for the cooks helpers to throw the leftover food out of the truck, causing them to sit terrified in the truck while the bears helped themselves:biggrin: My buddy immediately announced that he had just the thing for Bears and would go shoot some of them! I said nothing then as the cooks smiled and slapped him on the back........

When we got out of there i whirled on him and said, you bonehead! You can't shoot Bears with a .38 wimpy! Can too he said! That guy had no clue about firearms and especially handguns, he had just watched too much TV and believed the BS. He was determined to do it though and i said, i have an extra rifle, a 30/30 and you can use it, i will come along and use my 30/06. Nope gonna shoot some bears with my new pistol!:crazy:
The season was open for bears and after a few were shot the rest would stay away from people i thought, only problem was, how to keep my buddy....and ME from getting chewed on with him just making them mad with that wimpy .38?

That late afternoon we headed down the road to the dump in a company truck with one of the cooks helpers and several more following in more trucks to see the great feat their "saviors" would accomplish. Arriving there to an audience of some 20 or so assorted scungy Black bears waiting for handouts and my buddy happily bails out of the truck with his "big" pistol, i jump out behind with the rifle, all the while scared spitless about what might be coming. Right away he picks a Bear that was about 60 feet away and raises the Pistol while i continue to rag on him about how this is a mistake. Kerpow! He lets one go and dust kicks up a couple feet under the Bear! That Bear and a few others kinda jump and then go back to scrounging while he takes aim again! Me i'm pleading with him to listen to reason, trying to explain that even if that Pistol was enough gun for a Bear he would have to not only hit it but in the right place.......no luck with reason and Kerpow! This time i see dust fly from the Bear"s butt and it jumps with a big WHOOOFF! My idiot buddy yells.....i gottum i gottum! I raise the rifle and as the Bear who is probably just well bruised looks our way and whuffs angrily i put a 180 gr Winchester in his skull. Down goes the Bear and my buddy starts yelling that i should let him do his own Bear killing:rolleyes:

continued..........

The commotion had spooked the other nearby Bears even though i doubt they had ever been shot at before and several had run off into the bush. One was lumbering toward the trucks now though and a couple of the cooks helpers started jabbering in broken english about him being a bad bear and pointing fingers while saying bang bang or sumpthin close.

My idiot bud who still had not figured it out said, this ones mine! You let me do it! I backed off and was tempted to let the damn Bear trash him but just replaced the round i had used and waited feeling real scared, i had shot several black bears but not this way!

That typically ignorant, big and spoiled "dump Bear", kept coming for the truck purposefully and as the audience retreated behind the trucks the fool is standing with that big but little pistol one handed at arms length. Mr dumbass Bear never even slowed down, plodding towards us, i was getting antsy when it got to be about 30 feet away, had my rifle down but safety off and knuckles a tad white i imagine as i clenched the grip.

Kerpow! That hollow and unimpressive sound that says wimpy pistol, Mr bear instantly sets back on his azz and starts biting at his front leg while bawling, then looks at us and starts coming but not real fast while popping his jaws! One more Kerpow! Don't know where that bullet went but it had no effect and as i acquired a sight picture, buddy says shoot as he turns for the truck. Lucky for me that my first shot caught the booger just far enough into the meat of the shoulder, although it was intended different and rolled the bear over!
My second shot from maybe 10 ft away was only pointed as my scope was even more useless at that distance and went somewhere in the middle but dropped him again. Third was into the head of the critter who was stunned and just thrashing some. More luck than good management and i needed a change of underwear at least but kept up a tough guy attitude while shaking inside.

The upside was that my bud had got a good scare and nobody had made it into the obit column or a courtroom. The bear problem never really went away but was better for a while as we got the most aggressive one and the cookhouse did not push the issue further after witnessing a near miss, they may have been foreigners but they weren't stupid.

There was a memo came down from the admin office to the effect that NO EMPLOYEE or contractor was to be shooting or hunting on company property and nothing more said. I agreed :thumbup::biggrin: Real late coming memo to self......party with this guy but no hunting or shooting! Even better when a week later he claimed that his pistol got stolen :biggrin:

I ain't much of a gun man but when a gun man told me something, I would listen.

As usual Wayne, very interesting story and you sure have had an interesting life:clap:

Do you think that someone could have throw a few fire crackers at the bears to scare them away? Your friend was kinda funny thinking he was going to shoot a bear with a .38 cal. pistol, and you were right, it would only make them mad. As far as the cooks, good for you in giving them those fish...you made some good friends. I really enjoyed this story, thanks for posting it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

firecrackers may have worked for a while but not in the long run. Those Portugese fellas were all new immigrants and super cooks. They could only get frozen fish way up there and were real happy to get fresh fish for themselves. I understand that is a big part of their diet in Portugal.
Thanks!:)

run into each other a lot. You need to change your hangouts.... NO way, you were living an interesting life for sure that many of us would have liked to have had. I know the gun you speak or think I do. Didn't those Weblys have the ring piece of the bottom of the but and a half round clip to feed them with? Not sure but it broke at the top also to load.... My cousin had one... A few of my buddies were cops way back then and their battle cry then when they carried .38's was Stop or I'll scratch your paint on the car. They were much happier when they went to the 357 mag.... Even them for bear, I'd be happier with 44 mag.... To much animal to make a mistake with.

Nothing like here. Oh, we had the rampaging woodchuck, dive bombing mallard duck or golden eye, pheasants, grouse, and whitetails, but nothing that would hurt you. The few that got hurt by the deer were stupid and brought it on themselves. Now we have a few bears pass threw. But most are garbage pickers or bird feeder wreckers.

I bet he never fired a cap gun after that without a 30-06 backup near him....Lucky he had you riding shotgun.

You could write a great fireside book of your hunting exploits etc. I really enjoy them. I read them, then wait till I'm done laughing, then read them to my wife. She is pretty woods wise, east coast style, and excellent with animals have worked with a vet for many years on both large and small animals. I know she saves us a lot of money with the animals.

Hey, good story.. thanks much.....

George

I agree with you about Wayne. I envy him his life and experiences. Lots to set back and remember. I just set back and wish:blink:

I would have loved to have seen it....(from a distance!) Thanks again for telling us about it!

Made around the turn of the century. Webley and Scott i believe it was. Only good for wrasslin matches and scaring wimmen folk:biggrin:
I guess i was lucky to have lived where i did. Just10 minutes ago i talked to my cousin from the ranch i have written about, i reminded her about that incident of the Coyote hunt and she reminded me that she had way too much fetching and carrying for me when i trashed my ankle:lol:

Thank you very much George:)

you enjoyed it but also glad that the witnesses were not good with english :biggrin: That shot was mostly luck, but we need that huh?
Thanks Dan:)

still have a few memory cells flopping around in there as this was when I was around 14 years old. His father, my uncle was a avid hunter and had lots of guns. They belonged to all the gun clubs in a 100 mile range and on weekends, often my father and them would hit them all for skeet, trap, running deer, pistol range, trout ponds, general BS stories, killer breakfast on Sundays, and really great game suppers. I'm still a lifetime member of the Groton Sportmans Club. I have not shot there since we moved up here as its 1.5 hour drive and I can do it all here except for the great company. Many have passed away and its a newer crowd now. I remember welding up the running deer for them. We put it on angle Iron turned on a triangle and used it for rails. We made the deer so he would hit a steel column and it would drop flip the head down and the tail up on the other end so it looked right running. Actually I liked the cable one we had better as it would sort of gallop on the cable so it was up and down movement as well as forward and backward. We had it set up for 100yards. Big fishing club also and we had 4 of our own ponds for trout. We had a nice indoor pistol range with 20 positions and electric targets. Really nice setup. I always liked being around woodsmen. Fun people, always in survival mode it seemed and kept me laughing. Like you, I remember my hunts very vividly. I enjoyed the hunt more than the kill and still do with the camera even today. But I also liked game meats and thats how you got them. I felt they have a better life then some animal in a pen waiting for that day. I made every effort to make it a one shot kill. Most were. I had the patience of a cat back then in waiting for the shot. I usually hunted with single shots so one well placed shot was better than 3 to 5 wild ones. I kinda hunted like I was a sniper, still do. Quiet and effective. Right now I'm working on a coyote electronic caller and just downloaded a bunch of coyote calls off the internet. Looking forward to winter and thinning out these coyotes. My son saw 3 of them to other day just below trying to get a fawn. I'm told from the game wardens here they take a lot of small deer. I like seeing the deer and if I needed to I could take one for meat if it came to that. Never saw a good recipe for coyote, and they stink to start with.

Thanks for posting the picture of the webley. Just as I remembered it........

Geo

not wild here like where Wayne was. Here you hunted small farms, or State forest. the whitetails were the big game for here. All the rest was small upland game, rabbits, woodchucks, all kinds of ducks and birds. ducks were fun as this is a part of the atlantic flyway as they head south. Quick seasons here for each type that passes thru.Buffle heads, timber doddle's or wood cock, wood ducks, mallards, all kinds of ducks. I had a nice string of decoys, small duck hunting boat and really liked building reed and cattail duck blinds in the marsh lands near salt water. Also had a little trap line for marsh rabbites or muskrats, mink, racoons....Then we sold the pelts to Sears in the spring. I'm talking late 1950's here. I used pan traps and conibear traps. Muskrats were are money ticket for here. Once that starting ranching them in this area, that was the end of it.....

I always thought I might be able to make it in the real wilderness, but that woods knowledge comes over a long time, or alot of mistakes. I enjoy living it thru Waynes stories, safer and he tells them so good I feel like I'm there. Those little details that only a hunter would experience add to it......

Geo

You take me right into the story and I feel like I am beside you..

You and bears.. :): If you need more raw material to write about, the door is always open...:): The suckers are everywhere these days.

Fair winds

Mikie

n/t

Hey Viewers!
I think The Black Gold and Black Bears both are the same category, It's like a game nothing else if you won then enjoy. But I don't know the rules of this game. Anybody tell me the rules of this game.
Thanks!

singh1
Wyoming Treatment Centers