Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bipod Stand for Explorer type detectors

Buddysox

Just wanted to show all this stand I rigged up for my Explorer ll. It always seemed that when I put my unit down to dig it would always get dirty or fall over, and having a old timers back it was a pain to bend over and pick it up. There was only one detector stand on the market and it didn't fit the Explorer. So I searched around and found a cheap Harris type rifle bipod. The Harris is spring loaded and extends to 27" from 13". They spring up and forward as a storage position and the down and locked position is also spring assisted. The bipods are designed to be attached to the forward sling swivel stud. I took the hardware for attaching to the stud off leaving a curved channel. Then four holes were drilled thru the flat stand flange on the explorer and also four holes corresponding in the curved channel of the bipod. Short screws with nuts complete the job.
I have found that I can leave the legs extended while swinging the unit . They don't bother me at all. When I get a good signal I just sit the detector down with my right arm in one motion and slide out of the cuff. Will soon attach an X-1 probe to it and the height with the stand should be just right to grab the probe while digging and I can see the screen readout easily. The Bipod was about 40.00 on ebay. This bipod adds 14 ounces to the unit but it's all at the elbow.
If anybody has any questions or wants more pics let me know. It works good for me.

Really looks nice. The extra weight is not an issue for me as I use a swingy thingy. I'll probably give it a good look the next time I go into the sporting good store. Thanks for sharing. Jim

Well done!

I've been thinking of doing something in that direction as I'm continually lifting it up to see the screen or craning my neck and body way over.

What's the coil you have on there?

Buddysox said:
Just wanted to show all this stand I rigged up for my Explorer ll. It always seemed that when I put my unit down to dig it would always get dirty or fall over, and having a old timers back it was a pain to bend over and pick it up. There was only one detector stand on the market and it didn't fit the Explorer. So I searched around and found a cheap Harris type rifle bipod. The Harris is spring loaded and extends to 27" from 13". They spring up and forward as a storage position and the down and locked position is also spring assisted. The bipods are designed to be attached to the forward sling swivel stud. I took the hardware for attaching to the stud off leaving a curved channel. Then four holes were drilled thru the flat stand flange on the explorer and also four holes corresponding in the curved channel of the bipod. Short screws with nuts complete the job.
I have found that I can leave the legs extended while swinging the unit . They don't bother me at all. When I get a good signal I just sit the detector down with my right arm in one motion and slide out of the cuff. Will soon attach an X-1 probe to it and the height with the stand should be just right to grab the probe while digging and I can see the screen readout easily. The Bipod was about 40.00 on ebay. This bipod adds 14 ounces to the unit but it's all at the elbow.
If anybody has any questions or wants more pics let me know. It works good for me.

That's a good idea with the tripod. My first impression is that it looks like a .50 cal sniper rifle. Especially with that small coil on the end. A bigger coil would change this concept 180

I mounted this on my X Terra a while back. It only extends out about 8 inches but then again it only weighs 8 ounces. Cost about $25. made of all metal.

jeff & Maria said:
I mounted this on my X Terra a while back. It only extends out about 8 inches but then again it only weighs 8 ounces. Cost about $25. made of all metal.

Is that a small camera tripod?

i like the sunvisor much better

Looks like an extra bag of luggage to me. It doesn't hurt to set your machine on the ground and I have no problem looking at my screen if I need to. Guys are always wanting to make things lighter, but if you and anyone else needs a tri-pod then best of luck and eat lots of spinach.:clapping:

Eddie

My Gosh! Didn't think this post would get as much comment as it did! Don't worry Eddie in Poulsbo, here in the southwest it's not spinach we eat, Chili is what's for dinner! If you guys changed maybe the 14 oz wouldn't bother you.
A lot of people have asked about the shade on the screen. The Material is called Kydex and is available commercially. I had it as I make hunting knives and used it for a sheath with a knife I sent to my nephew in the Army in Iraq. The stuff is very strong, light. and is heat mould-able. Apply about 250 degrees and it softens and upon cooling ,takes the shape of whatever you bend it to. It comes in 12x12" sheets. I got it from K&G Knife Supply in Show Low, Arizona. Most Knife suppliers have it or there may be other ways to get it. Not that expensive.
Cut it to the shape you want. After cutting to the sides and top dimensions of the housing bend it where you want on the edge of a piece of wood that will take the heat. I recommend going big at first because it can always be cut down more later. Simply use strips of sticky back Velcro on the plastic and the outside edge your screen cover and your in business. I guess this could be applied to most detector housings.
I see that Jeff&Maria already added a bipod to their Sov. Beat me on that one!

Replying to King-Ghidorah, Yes, that's my Corgi, and his pedigree name is Buddysox. Best dog I have ever owned.They really fit into a home and become very protective of their owners. VERY good with children. He also barks at my wife if she gets on my case. That's what I call a goooooooood dog! If I am detecting around him he comes over and tries to dig where I am uncovering a signal. Maybe if I could teach him to sniff out coins! Thanks for the video, I really enjoyed it!
See what you mean about with the bipod it looks like a sniper rifle, hey, a 50 cal detector!
To those who asked, the coil I have on in the pictures is an Excellerator EQ2 5". Nice separation and pinpoint but does not cover a lot of ground fast. Was just finding some old planted coins and practising in the backyard.

http://www.interstateplastics.com/products.aspx?search=Kydex
To all that may want Kydex for a visor cover, here is a place that sells mail order and it comes in colors! Around 6.00 a sheet, and you could probably make two from one sheet.

Buddysox said:
http://www.interstateplastics.com/products.aspx?search=Kydex
To all that may want Kydex for a visor cover, here is a place that sells mail order and it comes in colors! Around 6.00 a sheet, and you could probably make two from one sheet.

I was just on that site. good price, problem is I don't have nothing to heat it but at one of the places I clean I know a handyman who has all the tools and he'll do it for me. What do you cut it with? tin snipes?

Is that chili with or without beans.:unsure: Not that it really matters and we aren't comparing spinach to chili. Guys are always working on gadgets to suit their needs trying to make things better and my hat goes off to you and your tri-pod idea, but I will continue to do fine without the extra weight. Your glare shield is also a good idea. How does it work though with the sun glaring over your shoulder in the later part of the day? I'm sure others might want to know the same thing. HH.

Eddie

I hear you Eddie, average time I get out detecting is about 3 hrs. at a time. I know this is not long compared to many and a little bit of weight can make quite a difference over the long run. The glare sheild still lets the sun in over your back,sometimes I have to hold the coil over a contact and turn at a right angle to the sun for the shield to shade the readout. I heard about a film that is made to put on the digital screens of cameras that is polarized. gonna look into that if I can find some.There I go again, can't leave things alone. Oh, by the way Eddie, It's deffinitly BEANS with that Chili. If eaten right before detecting it tends to keep people from bothering you and asking dumb questions.

Hi King, The Kydex cuts real good on a jig saw. I you don't have access to one I would recommend a coping saw, the kind with a big loop and a thin fine saw, It's not difficult to cut, not sure how tin snips would work. I used a heat gun for the Kydex. Some guys use a torch flame passed near the material, but be very careful. I recommend that after you cut the visor out you will have a few scraps of the Kydex. Use them to practice a bit and see how the stuff melts. I marked where the bends would be needed on the Kydex and laid that line on the edge of a 2x4 then applied heat along that line, once you see the material begin to soften and bend use another piece of wood to bend it down where wanted and hold it there. It will set when it cools. It's really easy once you get the hang of it. let me know how it goes.

Buddysox said:
Hi King, The Kydex cuts real good on a jig saw. I you don't have access to one I would recommend a coping saw, the kind with a big loop and a thin fine saw, It's not difficult to cut, not sure how tin snips would work. I used a heat gun for the Kydex. Some guys use a torch flame passed near the material, but be very careful. I recommend that after you cut the visor out you will have a few scraps of the Kydex. Use them to practice a bit and see how the stuff melts. I marked where the bends would be needed on the Kydex and laid that line on the edge of a 2x4 then applied heat along that line, once you see the material begin to soften and bend use another piece of wood to bend it down where wanted and hold it there. It will set when it cools. It's really easy once you get the hang of it. let me know how it goes.

thanks for the tip. Why the name buddysox for your dog? That is a neat name for a dog.

Buddysox
John's Buddy Sox is the actual name on his registration papers. Buddysox for short!

Hi John,

Yes, any extra weight does make a lot of difference. When I go out detecting it's an all day ordeal most of the time and I'm sure that extra weight would take a toll on my 64 year old arm.:cry: I used to do a lot of salmon fishing years ago and I had a shield like the one on your detector that I had around my depth finder, but when the sun was just right that shield wasn't worth a hoot.:thumbdown: Have you tried a pair of polarized sunglasses to help with the glare? I know a lot of the guys on the forum use them, but if your shield works than that's great. HH.

Eddie

I will try the polarized sunglasses. you are right, can't really shade it from all angles.Was really surprised at the all the reaction in the forum about a rigged up shade. Must be a real problem for most people. I noticed that the plastic on the cover seems to make seeing the readout worse. But I really dont want the electronics out there without protection. Gotta be a better way to do it! If anyone has an idea please let me know.:rage: