Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Biggest Detector Find of the Century in UK

tmoffatt

In a previous post I mentioned a major find of Anglo-Saxon gold has come to light in Staffordshire, UK, thanks to metal detectorist Terry Herbert. It includes a staggering 5kg/12lb of gold of the finest workmanship, and about half that weight of silver. First article I mentioned was BBC

The Guardian has a good article on this one, with an interesting photo. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/sep/24/anglo-saxon-treasure-hoard-gold-staffordshire-metal-detector

I haven't seen or heard what type of detector he was using? I bet the manufacturers are all scrambling to find out.
Has anyone heard?

I saw another post on a forum that it was a Whites Spectrum.

A lot of folks are smiling because the detector was so old - yet all sorts want the same model as he has...The Staffordshire Hoard has given a real boost to metal detecting in the UK - but I bet a lot of those newly-purchased detectors either go in the closets after a month, or end up on ebay.co.uk and its equivalent sites by next year.

I thought I caught a glimpse of a very old looking detector in one news clip, but I wasn't sure if it was just a picture of a detector the news team grabbed off the net, or was the one the guy was using.
Maybe after his initial find he picked up a newer one to complete his search? Anyways the one in the news clip was nothing I recognized.

i found a hoard of silver hammered coins 2 weeks ago with my trusty MINELAB SOVEREIGN XS2a PRO its no were near as valuable as the Staffordshire hoard:laugh: but i got a great buzz from finding mine just the same. i found about 80 of the coins in a 2 foot patch and the 2 mates helped to find the other 42 coins spread around about were i found the main hoard. i had to dig over a foot down to get all of the coins out. they were stuck together in clumps of 3's 6's 9's etc some were on there own.

the strangest thing was the signal the coins were given were slightly broken signals, take note of the rust patches on some of the coins.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2009/09/16/treasure-trove-unearthed-by-metal-detectors-in-northumberland-61634-24699760/

DSCF6076.jpg

thehoard.jpg