Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

big coil decision (MXT)

Moe (FL)

Between the Deepscan DD1400 coil and the The 18" EXcelerator Searchcoil (from Kellyco) which is a better coil for the MXT (easier to use, pinpoint, and goes deeper)?

thanks. HH
Moe

I've owned two White's detectors, both only with stock coils, and they worked great. I've heard nothing but good comments about White's coils, so I can assume you can't go wrong with the DD1400.

I've heard both good and bad about Kellyco's Excelerator coils. Some say the quality is inconsistant. I have a little 5" Excelerator on my MXT that is absolutely marvelous in trash and is reasonably deep also. I bought a 14" Excelerator for the MXT, and it is probably best used as a doorstop. It's depth is no more than the 5" and pinpointing is non-existant, so I tend to believe (only from my own experiences) that the stories of Kellyco's undependable quality may be true. I've bought several things from Kellyco and have always found them to be nice folks, easy to deal with and fast shipping, and this is the only item from them that I can consider substandard.

Anyway, good luck on your decision. Maybe some others here can give better input on these coils.

Marc

Have you contacted Kellyco and talked with them about the problems you are experiencing with the 14" excelerator? Dennis in Idaho

I know this will not set very well with everyone, but the 14" & 18" Excellerators are junk and go no deeper than the stock coil.
I don't know much about the smaller Excellerators, seems like some people have had good luck with them.
The 1400 deep scan is deep and easy to pinpoint once you get the hang of it and it's top quality.
If you are hunting in mineralized ground go with the 1400 deep scan if you are hunting in non mineralized ground take a look at the 12" Hot Shot by Jimmy Sierra it's also excellent quality like the deep scan.
Good Luck and HH

No, I didn't.....I bought it from another dealer in "like new" condition, so I can't fault Kellyco at all. I'm reasonably sure the guy I bought it from knew of the problem, but was just trying to dump it, and I was trying to go for a cheap price. In my earlier post I was just saying that I had heard of some inconsistancy in Excelerator coils but this is the only (possible) example I have seen.

I guess with some of the dealers it's caveat emptor for sure!

Marc

Moe,
I had the 14 deep scan by Whites and didn't care for it at all. It was a very heavy, hard to pinpoint and very noisy. I also have used the Jimmy Sierra Hot Shot on my mxt and dfx. It my test comparison it never went deeper than the stock 9.5 coil. I bought this coil new and after a year it went bad after hardly using it. Sierra would not make good on it. I also got a used one with a xl pro I bought and it went bad too.
For after market coils, the excelerators can't be beat. The 14" will go every bit as deep as the 14 inch deep scan from Whites. It also pinpoints a heck of a lot better. I have the new EQ2 10x14 DD for the mxt and dfx and it is working fine. I will be going out with it today to an old school grounds and hopefully will have some finds to post later. I have not used the 18 inch on my mxt or dfx but I have one for my Explorer and it is a depth monster. Not sure how it would feel on the mxt but I use a harness on my Explorer when I am going to use it for extended periods of time. If you are looking for coverage and depth, the 18 would certainly be a consideration. I will show you a picture of the 18 on the Explorer. I personally would take the 14 inch excelerator over the deep scan by Whites though. Hope this helps you out.