Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beware of Cleaning with Olive Oil!

HuntRick64

Now that I got your attention let me tell you the real danger of doing this. My son and I usually just bring our coins home and put them in containers without cleaning them. We went through some pennies the other night and pulled out about 50 wheaties that were in excellent shape, but needed some light cleaning before we "booked" them in our 3-ring binder where we keep our nicest coins. I took a small glass from the cabinet and put the coins in along with enough "extra virgin" olive oil to cover them. Put them on the back of the counter to let them soak for a few days. Two days later I came in to the kitchen with my wife to get ready for work. It was early in the AM and we only had one light on. She grabbed that glass dumped the contents into the garbage disposal and turned it on before I could stop her. It ran for about 5 seconds before jamming up with wheaties under the blades.

I re-learned two valuable lessons. 1. I should have put them in a jar with a lid on them instead of a drinking glass. 2. They really are just a bunch of coins that I found. Yes I had a lot of time invested in finding them, but I also have a lot more time invested in my wife (23 years). I said some things that I immediately regretted. I am now thinking that 2 years ago I didn't even have any of these coins, but I did have my wife. Now I don't have many of those coins, but I still have my wife. Many men out there are not as lucky as I, but I need reminded of that every once in a while. Bottom line - She was just cleaning up after me and I lost my cool. When you go home today hug your wife and kids just because they are there.

Thanks for the advice!!!

We all make mistakes .Nobody,s perfect. I,ve been 43 years with mine(wife) and we still have our differences. Give and take is the key.

What if they had been silver coins?

Chris

How much was the plumber's bill?

I would have kept them if they were silver because they still would have been worth keeping. I kept some of the wheaties that were just scuffed up or scratched. Some of them were not even recognizable. The plumber's bill was me spending two hours with long needle nose pliers and screwdrivers prying them out from under the teeth while my son held it from underneath with the hex wrench to keep it from turning. That is one tough disposal - no damage to it at all. I thought about burying them 6 inches deep in a popular detecting spot, but I am not that cold. I thought if I stacked them up on top of each other in one hole, someone would post it here to see if anyone could guess how they got there and what happened to them. Most people would not have guessed it was a garbage disposal back in the 30's and 40's.

It was a good story. I have to admit, I skipped over the post when I saw the headline. I could not for the life of me think how olive oil could be dangerous. I'm glad my curiosity got the better of me.

I keep one of each date and mint mark wheat in my brag book too. I'm getting to the point where I find very few dates I need. 9 wheats this weekend. Only needed 2.

Chris

I got a guy this weekend. I told him I would pay 10 bucks for every 1975 quarter he brought to me. He said he had a gallon jug filled with quarters. Saw him yesterday. He told me he went throught the whole jar and didn't find any.

Is it legal to own a 1943 copper cent?

Chris

[quote cwilk]What if they had been silver coins?

Chris

How much was the plumber's bill?[/quote] :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

[quote HuntRick64] When you go home today hug your wife and kids just because they are there.[/quote]I read your story and kind of followed your advice. I yelled at the wife and kids, kicked the dog and then hugged my Yeller Feller :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A 1943 copper penny is an extreme rarety and worth about $1.5 million if you should have one. There's just a few in existence.

Bill