Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Better than a box of Thin Mints!

Bob in SoMd

Well, to me anyway. Found this cool silver Girl Scout slide this afternoon. I've been playing with the stock 9.5" the last 2 times out. Rang up as a solid 74 at 5 inches and thought it might be a wheatie. Glad I decided to dig! I did a quick search online and think it may be a ring that was converted to a neckerchief slide but I am not sure. Any help out there???

[attachment 157574 GSslide3.jpg] [attachment 157575 GSslide4.jpg]

Here are my last 3 hunts. Includes 15 wheaties. About 4 hours total. Found my 1st ever 'V' Nickel that was so bad I soaked in ketchup and it didn't improve it much. But it was still a nice surprise.

Thanks for looking!

[attachment 157576 Mar2010_1.jpg] [attachment 157577 VNickel_1.jpg] [attachment 157578 VNickel_2.jpg] [attachment 157579 Mar2010_2.jpg]

Excellent finds Bob. I do have to tell you that the Girl Scout slide is a OLD Girl Scout ring instead. A very nice ring for sure. I love the older nickels and have you heard of 3 in one oil?
[attachment 157588 3inOneOil.jpg]
It does wonders on nickels and other metals. Also if it's not a valuable one and you're just wanting to clean it up, you can soak in in white vinegar in a shot glass over night or a day or two. The vinegar will turn bluish. Larry and I have done this, but it does pit the nickel if left in too long. Don't do it if you find a rare date nickel. Thanks for sharing and HH, Nancy

Awesome finds Bob ! The converted Girl Scout ring is definitely one of those great finds that just leaves you smiling. Nice post.
HH
Scott

Thanks All,

Nancy, you are correct. Did more research and found a couple of these online on E-bay. It is an adjustable ring issued between 1962 and 1974.

Now I'm considering taking it to a jeweler to get it bent back into some semblance of a ring. Thoughts?

Bob, glad you found one and it would be fairly easy to round the bands to be a ring. Slow and easy. Warm it in your hands and then take a rounded pen/pencil and work with it gently and it should come out of it. Start where the crimp is and work your way to the end of the band. SLOWLY and you shouldn't have any problems. If you feel it's impossible to fix, by all means take it to your jeweler. It's one nice find and it will be a good piece for your collections. HH, Nancy