Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best way to hunt trashy wooded site?

2muchhomework

I have found this little old stone house in the woods on public property and have been hunting it a couple of times. The first time I went with the Explorer stock coil and it nulled out many times but I did get some finds. The next time, I switched to my 8" coil, put the detector in all metal at -6 and set the response to FAST rather than DEEP. I didn't have any luck finding much of anything. Now I know that with detecting sometimes its great and sometimes its not but with the wooded area and all of the leaves on the ground, is it better to go with larger coil that can go deeper or a smaller coil that can "pick through the trash" better?

Thanks,
Barb

I would try a small coil if you have one. I have a 5.5" Sunray coil I use. I gets good depth plus it is great in trashy areas. I hunt schools and parks all the time with it. Try setting it to deep and swing slow. You will be able to hear each item and get a good idea what you are over by the sound and smartfind or digital read out. Good Luck! I hope you find some nice finds.

Your 8" should work for you even though the smaller coil is best. If you do as treasure-diver suggested and work slow, slow enough to find the edge of each piece of trash around the building. Most are going to be big pieces. If they are, try removing some of them as most guys that may have hunted there probably got frustrated like you. There could be good finds right under some of those sheets of tin and other trash.