Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best way to hunt a large park

relic-hunter

Today I tried to hunt a large county park, very large. It has a tot lot that I have hit up before and found some coins and junk costume jewelry. Today I just walk around randomly swinging the detector, and found some clad coins, and old style pull tab cans. You know the kind that they haven't made in like 30 years. So this tells me that this park doesn't get detected very often, if ever. So is they some sort of logical way to search and area like this, it must be at least 5 acres with groups of trees and bushes.

Ken

relic-hunter said:
Today I tried to hunt a large county park, very large. It has a tot lot that I have hit up before and found some coins and junk costume jewelry. Today I just walk around randomly swinging the detector, and found some clad coins, and old style pull tab cans. You know the kind that they haven't made in like 30 years. So this tells me that this park doesn't get detected very often, if ever. So is they some sort of logical way to search and area like this, it must be at least 5 acres with groups of trees and bushes.

Ken
Depends on what you're looking for. BUt start by asking around. What happened where? How long has the park been there? What was there before? GO to the office if there is one or ask at a few neighbors, overlooking the place. WHere there carnivals? Festivals? Carnivals? Where are the weekend pickup games?
Where do the lovers hang out?
Head for the trees and shrubs first. Look for out of the way places that most might not think of. Then look for the one or two spots that had something happening before you came along.

First I go early in the morning or cold days. This way there is no one else there. If I don't have a clue where to hunt I'll head for the largest tree. Grouping of larger trees where people could get out of the sun too.

Well, Relic Hunter, I would do the following (which I've done before for
large areas):
>1. Do a grid system, starting with the outer edges of the park, which means
to search a series of twenty foot rectangles, each butting up to the other, by
using colored wood dowels 2 feet long pushed into the ground a few inches to
mark off the grid. Move each one another 20 feet after thoroughly searching
each rectangle with various size coils, starting with small to large ( 8", 12",
long 3"X18", etc.).
>2. Draw a group of maps for a looseleaf notebook, detailing each search area.
>3. Also mark on the grid map what was found and where within each grid.
>4. BE PATIENT!! Any area worth searching is worth doing it right..! If it takes
a week or a month, so what?
>5. Searching willy-nilly is wasting time, cause you'll never know where you've
been or what you missed. That Gold ring or Silver coin will never see the light of day!
>6. Discard all trash accordingly.
>7. Take photos of ALL finds each search session, including trash!
>8. Learn to keep records this way in all your hunts for the later memories.
>9. Have a great time and look forward to each hunt for the sheer
excitement of it and the enjoyment of living each day doing what you LOVE!
Good Luck! :thumbup:
..W

If it as old as seemingly sounds to be, I would grid search it as well. People wander, picnic and play all over a park, so old coins and jewelry could be any where. Good luck and HH jim tn

When are you going to incorporate a GPS on our detectors? This way we'll know where we've been. While your at it the Playboy channel would be nice too.

That way you suggested , gridding it off using stakes and string was the only reasonable way I could thing of search the area well. I was thinking 30 foot long by about ten or 12 feet wide per grid.then just keep moving the grids left or right or up or down, and maybe even carry my hand-held gps as another tool to keep track of where I have hunted in the park. Now about how worthwhile it will be to search the area, that is another story. I think that the land has been under county ownership for a fairly long time, judging by the stuff I found while randomly detecting. I could see there being a silver coin or two there, not too sure about a gold ring, but I won't know until I hunt the area well.

Ken

Wayne/TX said:
Well, Relic Hunter, I would do the following (which I've done before for
large areas):
>1. Do a grid system, starting with the outer edges of the park, which means
to search a series of twenty foot rectangles, each butting up to the other, by
using colored wood dowels 2 feet long pushed into the ground a few inches to
mark off the grid. Move each one another 20 feet after thoroughly searching
each rectangle with various size coils, starting with small to large ( 8", 12",
long 3"X18", etc.).
>2. Draw a group of maps for a looseleaf notebook, detailing each search area.
>3. Also mark on the grid map what was found and where within each grid.
>4. BE PATIENT!! Any area worth searching is worth doing it right..! If it takes
a week or a month, so what?
>5. Searching willy-nilly is wasting time, cause you'll never know where you've
been or what you missed. That Gold ring or Silver coin will never see the light of day!
>6. Discard all trash accordingly.
>7. Take photos of ALL finds each search session, including trash!
>8. Learn to keep records this way in all your hunts for the later memories.
>9. Have a great time and look forward to each hunt for the sheer
excitement of it and the enjoyment of living each day doing what you LOVE!
Good Luck! :thumbup:
..W

Great info. Ill print this out myself!!! Thanks jnstrom

Do some google searching on it,, might run across some old pictures of it while in use,, county fair, carnival,, any event,, least it gets you in the right area to start at,, and work out from there