Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best qway to clean coins

supertraqer

Can someone give me a suggestion on the best way to clean my coins? Thanks in advance.

If your speaking of modern coins, most use a tumbler or chemical soak (CLR, etc). For older coins, make very sure none of them are key dates before doing anything. You can quickly ruin the best value of a coin by cleaning it. Common coins (silver) can be soaked in warm, soapy water to remove any dirt; leaving any oxidation as this doesn't really matter as to the value of silver. Rare or key date coins should be professionally cleaned and graded. This keeps the value higher than "home made" cleaning which you then get hit with "you overcleaned this coin, so I can only give you a fraction of what it would be worth." For copper coins, 3% Hydrogen Peroxide will sometimes help. Most guys will warm it in a glass beaker with a light bulb. Do this outside, as you do not want to breathe the fumes. I use Blue Ribbon Coin conditioner and cleaner on my copper coins. This will preserve the details and allow them to be viewed better. There are a great number of ways to clean coins, but less is best when dealing with any key date coin. Good hunting, David@Dixie

Hot sauce works on older coins but I would not leave em in for more then 5-10 minutes at a time. A friend told me about it and I was surprised that it worked pretty good.