Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

best places in CA????

aschwars

Hi,
I live in California and I was wondering if anyone living here knows any great places to metal detect because I have been detecting for several months and the best coinsI found were wheat pennies, and only 5 1/2 of them. please help!

I was talking to a buddy who just recently got into detecting. He has only been out a few times. Anyway he called this afternoon and of course I had to ask how detecting is going. He says he isn't finding much but did get a few pennies and a nickle on his last outing which was 4 or so hours. After some conversation, he says he been hitting the park a couple blocks away. Well the area he is in is a few years old & development is still ongoing. I suggested to hit other areas that are older, more people, and have patience. Hit several places and keep at it - it will come.

You expect someone that has done the research to find a good place to just tell you right here in public?
The next day there would be 5 or 10 people hunting that place.

Here is what you need to do ...
Buy or borrow some books about the history of the area you want to hunt in.
Preferably books with lots of photos.
Visit the public library and look for publications that meet that criteria.

Find out if there is a metal detecting club in your area and then join it.
Attend the meetings and get to know the other members.
Listen to what they talk about.
Hope they will share information or invite you along on a hunt.

Hunt the beaches and get to know the others that hunt there also.
After they get to know you they will share good information ... dont forget that works both ways.

You must realize that anyone that has discovered a really good site will share that information only with his best buddies (if he shares it at all) so
dont expect too much from your first few club meetings or field outings.

:usaflag:Be cautious when joining any clubs. There can be more drama, backstabbing and gossiping going on there than a hair salon. You are better off doing your own research and finding your own good spots. Better yet..see if you can get a good friend to take up the hobby and join you in your quest.

If you're into GPS you may want to check out http://www.calsign.com/mining/counties.htm -- This gives you innumerable GPS coordinates throughout the state which can be put up in Google Maps and downloaded into your GPS device. Some of the sites it covers
include ghost towns, town sites, cemeteries, camps, old names of towns that have been changed or absorbed into other towns. Historical names, ruins, old mines, airports with 1173 listings for Santa Clara County, 939 San Mateo, 488 for San Francisco County, etc...All 58 CA counties have large listings. All of them historical. I've tracked down a few of these sites in Santa Clara county and been out to them. Only 3 have been accessable; the problem mainly being the Bay Area has become so highly urbanized. If it's not been turned into an asphalt jungle of some sort, it's got some sort of historical marker which puts it off limits. Even discounting GPS, my suggestion is if you want to dig anything other than clad or the occasional piece of jewelry is to get to the outlying counties where the smaller towns are with less urbanization. If you're not into research I agree with Willee, join a club. There are quite a few in the Bay Area. They can help you get on the inside track. Findmall also has a Maps & Mapping Forum here http://www.findmall.com/list.php?69

I been hunting up in Sac - try the camp sites and the LL Ball Parks even better if the have a snack stand