Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

best penny cleaning method?

aschwars

Hello garret users,
I am wondering if any of you know a good way to clean copper pennies. I tried vinegar and salt, but it didn't work. The ketchup method wasn't very helpful either. I need to know a quick, cheap, easy, and effective way to clean my pennies.

Large batch of pennies.....use a rock tumbler. Add water and tumble for a couple of hours.

Individual coins.......put a penny in about an ounce of hydrogen peroxide, let sit for 24 hours, rinse and finished.

Don't mix pennies with other coins, as they will get stained. Quarters will look red to brown. Real ugly too and banks don't like them.

I clean the clad coins and copper pennies with a soft brass wheel on the bench grinder. Grab the coin with a needle nose plier and then lightly hold against the wheel. You will probably have to re grip the coin a couple of times to clean all the surface . Turn the coin over and repeat. Keep your fingers folded back away from the wheel. (skin is no match against this whirling dervish). I don`t clean the wheats or silver or other collectible coins this way. ....Just my 2 zincs worth.

On old copper pennies I use hydorgen peroxide and soak the coin and then clean with soap and water. Might have to do it a few times. The dirt comes off but the coin is dried out and I put some olive oil on them.

I saw in a magazine article that use heavy white glue over them and when it dries peel the glue off and it takes all the dirt off. Do it several times on real old coins to get it all off. I haven't tried this method yet. I am anxious to try this method.

The last method I saw was to soak the coin in distilled water a couple days and then put it the freezer and dirt cracks and comes off. Haven't this yet either.

Rick