Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

best machine for silver?

teviotlad

i have xterra 305. this unit only has 2 id segments / 2 tones covering the high range including copper coins and silver coins, which means i cant differentiate silver, which means i have to dig all the low value coppers to find silver. this is not so good in parks. is there a machine which has good silver id to avoid diggin coppers?

At the top of the list of many great silver detectors is the Minelab E-Trac, Explorer SE and the White's V series. My deep silver "go to" is the SE with the V3i a close second.

what "copper coins" are you hoping to differentiate from silver coins? If you mean large cents, then no, they read too high, and will mimic silver coins. But if you meant small cents (wheaties), then be aware that they are very difficult to tell apart from silver dimes. Yes you can tell silver quarters and halves apart from pennies with a lot of TID machines, but pennies to dimes is a much closer range on the TID scale.

The Explorers (especially the Exp II), as Larry says, is a good machine for TID's at depth. And I actually found the Whites Eagle SLII to be good at differentiating silver dimes from copper pennies. But the depth isn't what explorers get, and ... of course ... those clear-cut TID differences start to fade when you add depth and/or minerals to the soil. :rolleyes:

But for turf-hunting, if you put a lot of time into the Exp. II to gain audio experience (listening for the particular "fluty" high pitch), it will almost get to where you can call the difference between silver and copper.

Be aware that this is for if you're talking places where the depths and ages are stratified (which is how turf generally is). But if you're talking other types sites (plowed fields, the beach, relic sites, etc..) where depth has no correlation to age, then all bets are off. You're going to have to dig the pennies if you want the silver dimes.

The Whites V3I and VX3 can use a single 2.5 Khz freq. which is deadly on silver. 3 freq mode is good on silver also

I vote Etrac well, because I run one! In a lower price bracket the AT-Pro is pretty good as well.

E-Trac. You can adjust the variability and threshold pitch to sound ALMOST like the Explorer and Safari. Also the cursor gives you deadly accurracy on silver compared to pennies. Regardless of what machine you choose learn it and learn it well. HH :minelab::fisher::teknetics::whites:

xlt with tone id on no need to view screen after you're used to it. very deep silver v3i,e-trac. the xlt will cover ground quicker than many others.

I have the AT PRO and the Omega. I strongly prefer the AT PRO...less prone to EMI, water proof, better in iron, equal in depth performance in my ground, and a better overall value...IMO. Omega high tone is weak to my ears...and stock coil does a poor job on rusty bottle caps...AT PRO does better on them in iron audio mode. Omega ergonomics are better...you can swing it all day...AT PRO with the upgrade is improved.

My silver finds increased with the AT PRO...same sites.

Minelabs are certainly the best for finding those old deep silver coins.

If you're on a bit of a budget, I would wholly recommend the Tesoro Golden uMax fro coin shooting.

Forget the notch discrimination. Just set it low for your best depth and dig the high tones only.

It will hit hard on silver and clad coins if thye are there.

The only junk you'll dig will be whole crushed aluminum cans, which would overwhelm most detectors with a false signal.

The only pennies you will dig are the older copper pennies. Not that there are many of those left to find these days. But you will bypass every "zincoln" out there.

The one silver you'll likely sacrifice are nickels because those hit at the mid tone. If you want the nickels, use your notch discrimination to kick out the pulltabs and presevre the nickels.

Its not hard to do.

Eric, just curious. What do you consider a poor job (describe) on bottlecaps by the Omega stock coil...and how is the AT Pro superior (describe) in this regard?

Actually, I misspoke...the stock coil on the Omega does a fine job with ID on bottle caps...it is the 11" DD coil that will ID them as coins...visual and audio. That is not unusual for DD coils. The AT PRO will give a distinctive low high low audio response on them...very useful.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Omega...I still have it. I mostly use it in trashy sites with the 5" DD coil...it will still hit coins at 6 or 7"...fast response and very good target separation. In the field, it will hit a dime at 9" or so with the big coil, so it does have some punch. At sites with no EMI, it will hunt plenty deep...wide open sensitivity. I use the D1 audio mode exclusiively...it is distinctive on the deep targets.

teviotlad said:
i have xterra 305. this unit only has 2 id segments / 2 tones covering the high range including copper coins and silver coins, which means i cant differentiate silver, which means i have to dig all the low value coppers to find silver. this is not so good in parks. is there a machine which has good silver id to avoid diggin coppers?

The E-Trac is the best silver finder there is, but if you try to skip over "copper" you will miss MOST of the silver. If they give off such a perfect silver signal, they will mostly have already been found.

If all I want to dig is silver, I grab the Vaquero and run the disc at 3 o'clock position. I might dig a couple aluminum screw caps mixed in, but 90% of what I dig will be silver and it will hit on those coins at 8 - 10" plus some.

truly remarkable! with that kind of performance,
you only need the one detector! gotta check into this! just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I think a part of the reasoning would be your ground. I have owned the Omega, V3i and now the E-Trac.In my iron mineralized ground the E-Trac is best by a couple of inches at least, in particular regarding the stability of the VID numbers.

If your ground is Neutral with no iron mineralization, the Omege goes pretty deep. I preferred the V3i over the E-Trac as far as the controls (buttons), beautiful screen and Great backlight, 3 freq pinpoint and shortcuts. The E-Trac was .8 pounds lighter though.

Good luck,
EMS

You could also consider the xterra 705 with the low freq 3kHz coil. Works great where the ground isn't too hot. This is a killer set up for deep silver!
HH