Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best large coil for GPX4000?

Ironhearted Gog

Hi all
I search in the UK and am currently digging up a hoard (cache) of 2000 year old gold coins. So far we have been using an Explorer SE fitted with a WOT coil and have been digging coins to 12", and have found 49.

By the end of the week i will have a GPX4000 and am trying to decide which second coil I should buy.

The ground is clay and quite neutral (I can run my SE full sensitivity.) The coins weigh 6grams and have a gold content of 60% (30% silver.) These coins measure 18mm (3/4") across.

What coil would you recommend?
IHG

Hi,

I've done quite a bit of coin detecting with the Minelab SD/GP units. My favorite coil for so far has been the Coiltek 14" round mono. If you want a DD I've grown fond of the Minelab Commander 15" x 12" DD. But I think the 14" mono packs one heck of a lot of punch in a compact package.

Steve Herschbach

Thanks Steve

I think I will take your advice and go for the;
COILTEK 14 INCH ROUND MONO (350MM) Item # MON14

I have found a UK dealer who can get me one (6-8 weeks.)

IHG

That is so cool! What kind of coins are they? Roman, Celtic, early British? I don't know my ancient coins at all but those are incredibly beautiful. Are you going to be able to keep them or do you have to turn them in? Are any for sale? I'd love to own one. What is the story and history behind them? Love to see more pictures of the area and the dig.

Doc, great use of your kangaroo pouch too!

Digger Bob

They are Celtic coins dating to 50BC... We have handed them in for a treasure inquest and they will probably be acquired by a British museum.

The find site was discovered by myself in an old book containing a map with an 'X marks the spot' reference to a previous discover of gold coins... I then simply related this old map to the modern landscape... we walked onto the field and found the first coin within 5 minutes.... and 42 by the end of the weekend.

As I understand it, if it is aquired by the government or another entity, they have to pay you the fair market value.

What would be the value of just one of those coins? I think Celtic gold is rather rare not unlike Roman gold, silver and bronze being more common.

Digger Bob

Talking to a Celtic coin dealer, he expects the value of each coin to be worth between $1100 and $2000 (US.)I would be happy with $1100 a coin as my reward payment.

After trying to buy a Mono coil here in the UK, (they are as rare as rocking horse dung here)I managed to get the Commander 18" mono coil.
I tried it for a couple of hours and found my first Gold with the GPX.

Can't wait for the weekend!

Congratulations on intelligent research
and great hunting plans. Those coins are
simply amazing.

Nice work! The British Museum should be
very happy about acquiring those beautiful coins.

Continued good hunting.

Flak

Thanks every one who posted advice in this thread and via PM...
The GPX has done everything I wanted of it, finding 20 coins.

Happy prospecting :twodetecting:
IHG

Hi Don
The 18" mono commander is the coil I purchased. The coiltek wasn't available here in the UK, although I did order it to be imported, I cancelled the order once I tried the commander.
I agree, the commander 18" mono is an excellent coil for coin and relic hunting, it goes very deep.

It takes about 10 days to ship a coil to the UK.

We keep on the average of 100 to 200 of each coil in stock, usually, unless we get a run on something.

DOC