Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best detector for-

Flipndirt

GOLD! What is the all around best metal detector for gold & why? I currently am swinging the x terra 705, not had a chance to prospect with it yet. But when I get the chance I hope it will work for some of that yellow... Hope I receive some feedback, I'd like to get some ideas and maybe some tips from some of you gold hunters. Thanks!

The best one is the one whose coil you swing over a nugget. Nice gold has been found with the simplest detectors.

If you want to have the maximum chance of finding gold and you have access to a place with gold, then you need to consider a lot of variables like mineralization, presense of hot rocks, amount of ferrous trash, etc.

Google Steve Hersbach guide to gold detectors - read it all three times.

From what I have heard the 705 should do fine for gold. I had one that I tried but I didnt know much about detectors at the time. I didnt give it a fair shake.

Use the dd prospecting coil-the elyptical or the little 6 inch dd( small round)...use the prospecting mode...there are many levels to the 705 so get out and practice by hunting in all metal or the prospecting mode...your goal is to find the tiny lttle bits of foil and aluminum...forget coins they are easy.
Coin hunting has ruined the skills of many would-be nugget hunters; nugget hunting is a different universe!

And read everything Steve has written about the 705 and nugget hunting---Everything!

fred

Ditto to what Fred said. Steve H. has tons of information on his site regarding a multitude of different detectors he's used over the years. He is not brand specific so you get the straight scoop with him.

I had an Xterra 705 with three different coils and it's a very good detector for multi uses..... Now if you just want to do Gold Only and nothing else my two favorites are the Fisher Gold Bug2 @ 71 Mhz and the Whites Goldmaster GMT @ 48 Mhz to which i have both of them..... there are a few other good gold only machines but this is what i have and prefer ( I can't afford a $6,000 PI Machine) and if i had to choose one over the other i would choose the Fisher Gold Bug2 as it is just slightly better on small surface gold where the GMT will go deeper....... If your looking for a multi purpose machine stay with the xterra 705 but get the mini coil for the gold
Steve Hershbach is really a pro at this and could offer a better opinion.
Joe

The 705 is a very capable nugget detector if used in the Prospecting Mode. The disc modes are pretty lackluster so use Prospect Mode and learn it well.

You choice of detector is less important than doing good research and putting yourself in good locations. There are many very good $500 - $800 VLF detectors that will all do the trick. There is no best ice cream, just different flavors of ice cream! It is all about location, patience, persistence, and just plain hard work. Anyway, you have the machine, just add the rest, and go find a nugget!

You might want to go find that page the other guys mentioned. Sorry, can't post the link here.

Amen as so many decent units out now, the most gold units ever as the price of gold has risen so has the technology. Some folks demand vlf-others PI but just like women 1 mans pleasure mat darn well be yet anothers nightmare. Buy used but not abused as nugget shooting is the hardest,most expensive,most dangerous form of detecting,and site specific mandating $$$ travel to limited areas unless your lucky enough to be in a good gold producing area,like me YAHOO-John

Thanks for the info, I'll check out Steve's web page. I really like everything about the x terra so far, & hopefully we can find some Yellow in the spring & summer? This is just a hobby for me, wish I would have got into it when I was a bit younger.
HH