Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Beach settings

HISTORYDIGGER

I am still trying to learn the EXPLORER II going to Galvaston Saturday and looking for the best setting for finding Rings and Jewerly thanks for the help

Rings and jewelry and aluminum trash come in pretty much the same. There is no machine that can tell a pull tab from a gold ring for certain. If you want the gold you have to dig the trash too. I have found gold my last 9 times out, so trust me.

I use the Excalibur at the beach but for your Explorer II I recommend use IM -16, Ferrous tones, gain about 6, sensitivity manual 24 in the wet or dry sand, maybe 22 in the shallow water...or lower it if need be for stability. Run it as hot as you feel comfortable. Now dig everything but listen for those medium and low tones in particular. I wouldn't worry about the numbers or the Smartfind. Just dig everything at the beach and you'll do fine.

I have a question?
If you dig the low and med tones, wouldn't the low tone be iron(hoop earings) in Ferrous mode. I realize what you are trying to say, but I don't think the low tone will produce as many good targets.

Those would be the tones for conductive.(Low and med)

In ferrous it is mostly midtone, sound is about that of penny and nickle with only a slight octive change in each direction.

Mike, are you the Mike who's the author of the Mike's Explorer Screen pages at http://www.frontiernet.net/~jvokes/exscreens.htm ? If so, do the settings and screens also pertain to the Explorer II? I had been considering getting a Quattro but am now considering the Explorer II instead, and since this will be my first metal detector, I'll need all the tips I can get. <g>

I won't be hunting on a beach; I'll be hunting around this old 100-year-old farmhouse I live in, its surrounding farm land and woods (20A of pasture, 45A of woods), or perhaps nearby (50 miles away) Civil War battle areas. The farm I live on used to be a dairy farm, so there's likely to be a lot of iron-containing stuff around to interfere with my finding "good stuff." The previous owner had a MD, but I'm told he was pretty cheap, so I seriously doubt he had a very good one, let alone an Explorer II. :) Thanks.

Jim