Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Beach coil.

I hunt a lot of hours and have to cover a lot of beach i use the SEF 10X12, which is heavy enough. IF i was going bigger id look at the WOT..... little harder to PP but is a great coil and i believe lighter.

Dew

FarmerJ said:
I was looking at 15x18 SEF. Any thoughts???

I have used the 12x15's on both the E-Trac and Sovereign's and IMO would not want to go any bigger on the E-Trac or Explorer. The weight of the 12x15 isn't bad on a Sovereign where you can counter balance the rod, but it's substantial on the E-trac and is uncomfortable to swing for an extended period. I can't imagine wanting to swing the 15x18 for any long period of time without the use of one of those bungee harnesses. Also the E-trac is not built as solidly, and when swinging the 12x15 the upper rod, control housing and handle do quite a bit of flexing. Over the long run I don't think it would hold up very well to the 15x18 coil.

The best beach coil is the one you can control. If you start to sacrifice coil control ( level swing, overlap, consistent/optimal sweep speed, not get tired, etc.) for just having the biggest coil, results will suffer.

one that covers alot of ground with coil control--i have a BHID and have a 12 inch. Keep it low and smooth i am happy with it--doesn't miss much

I also have to ask what do you think you need that large of a coil? That are trade off that everyone has mentioned. Therover has it right you have to keep the proper swing ect..... not only can the detector have issues but you can develope elbow, shoulder, or back problems. If you want depth get a PI they even have great sensitivity to small targets. Yes you can cover a lot of sand with a large coil. What im finding is with all the hunters on the beach now days its more important to keep the coil on the sand and grid the heck out of an area.

Dew

I use the SEF 15X12 with a Swingy Thingy harness. I could not use that heavy of a coil without the harness and keep my swing level to the sand and at a good constant speed/pace. Not to mention the fatigue factor that such a big/heavy coil will have on your body without the harness.

Advantages to using the 15X12

1. Covers more surface area
  2. Provides a little more depth

Disadvantages

1. Constant Swingy Thingy height adjustments to compensate for the contour of the beach. Unless, you just hold the coil up manually as you detect on an incline.
  2. Swing coverage side to side is restricted due to pressure of the cord at the end of the swing. You can compensate for this by turning your body side to side as part of your swing pattern. Once you get a rhythm going, this becomes second nature. Or, you can adjust your grid pattern to compensate.
  3. You cannot swing as fast or walk as fast due to the weigh of the coil and the flexing of the lower rod, therefore, impacts your ability to cover as much ground as the smaller coil (say 12X10)
  4. Some people say that the bigger coils are not as sensitive to smaller targets as the smaller coils are. I have not noticed this as I have found tiny targets at some extreme depths.

For me, the disadvantages do not out-weight the advantages as my physical limitations already affect my ability to swing fast and walk fast, therefore, I feel I can cover more ground with the larger coil. I would not use anything bigger then the 15X12.

Hope this helps.