Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beauty and tragedy....

ojm bc

Beauty and tragedy are often nearby,I have included a few snapshots to get a feeling of the park.Wayne would know it as well as Willy.My short story is of this old park,it's beauty and it's tragedy.

It has a rugged ravine in the back 30 acres,well worn trails next to a meandering brook.Often while walking the trails I can spot a rainbow trout or little crayfish.As a youngster it was a popular fishing spot,but with progress the little creek is only a token of it's past.I remember trying to shoot birds with my bb gun,lucky I was a bad shot,never even came close.

I mainly go there to relax and detect,in years gone by the park was alive with carnivals. I remember my buddy,who was strong as a bear,climb up the greased pole and win a prize.The vintage coins are there but hard to find,on occasion the park does reward me with a few vintage silver,coppers,or ring.Just the other week,I dug up a very old locket,inside a very old photo,what a thrill to see a hundred year old photo come to light,even if it faded away soon afterwards.

The lovely Cherry tree is next to the pool,where the tragedy happened many,many years back.The pool was derelict for years until it was filled for sand and converted to horse shoe throw.It was active for a few more years until the old timers started to pass on.Now it seems barren again.

My favorite spot to detect is on the field next to the swimming pool,often I see Bald eagles soaring nearby,chipmunks,squirrels ,frolicking about my feet.Once in awhile while digging my target a little Racoon or big mongrel dogs with tails wagging startling me.

My memory of the tragedy has faded,a friend of mine,sent for his younger brother to join him here in Canada,after a few days in Canada he died in this pool,he had hit the concrete during a deep-end dive.I think the tree is a lovely reminder of his very short life,thanks for reading.
oj

I did not know that you could write like this! Do you think that anyone will ever come forward with a plan to restore that park to it's former glory? I love that tree, so many flowers on it. Thank you for posting this story, I really enjoyed it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

yes there is some conservation work,mainly to get back at the native plants.At this time have not heard of any further plans for the park. see you. oj

Thanks for sharing that story and blending it so well with your beautiful perspective ! :)

Most excellently written and it is as if I have been there many times. By reading, I now now it is a very special place to you. Thank you so much for sharing with us all. Without it, I would have never been able to smell the aroma of that beautiful tree in the spring!

aj

it looks like the pics were taken on a nice day,and it looks like you had it to yourself except for the critters.it seems trees serve as good landmarks and can remind us of the good and bad things that happen in life.

and the repeated renewal of the blossoms of the tree. I bet such storys are all around us if we could see into the past.

Thanks for the post OJ and the pictures

is the respect and care that you show this park and the memories it holds for you..Thank you

Fair winds, sunny skies

Mikie