Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bear whacking 101? :shrug: ..................

Wayne in BC

My close friend and guide/outfitter Tom K came to visit me several months back and we spent a couple very enjoyable days together, mostly, as guys will, hashing over old times and adventures. Most were to do with hunting and i have told you a couple but the subject of fishing came up of course as in addition to his many hunting camps, Tom operates a fishing charter business from the Queen Charlotte Islands some 400 miles north of me and not far from Alaska.
Tom is a big boy, 6'3" and 230 or so with no "spare tire" and a hugely strong man which i saw demonstrated a few times under circumstances that are best left to the readers imagination but large animals were involved:biggrin:
Here is one of my favorite "Tom stories" ............

On a long weekend in late May of 1983 Tom and i had finally found the time to unwind a bit. We had both put in several weeks of long days and short nights guiding bear hunters, now the season was done and what better way to relax than to go fishing?;) Yep a "busmans holiday" was just the ticket!
The plan was to visit a small (30 acre) lake in the foothills of west central Alberta which held large Walleye and was only lightly fished due to the fact that few knew it had Walleye. This small lake is only a half mile off the highway to Banff and Jasper national parks and had a basic campsite that was mostly used by locals as the tourists are heading for the Parks and seldom stop there.
We arrived at near 10 am that Sunday having slept till 7am, late as heck for folks in our business and it was an hour and a half drive from my home. Tom had a small cartopper boat in the back of the pickup. When we pulled in there were about half a dozen tents and campers there and as we backed to the lakes edge to launch the boat a commotion caught our ears.

A woman screaming usually means trouble, maybe for you, but we had to investigate and both trotted/ran towards the camping area a few hundred feet away wondering what the hell!? Now men were yelling and a couple kids crying and suddenly a young woman ran towards us saying.......can you help us? There is a BEAR here!! Tom sez what kind of bear? Where!? Is anybody hurt? And we both thought at the same time that maybe a Grizz had been provoked by dumbazz campers and i was turning to go to the truck pronto for the rifle when she said THERE!! There he is!!!! I stopped my run to the truck and we both looked where she was pointing, only to start chuckling, which offended the upset gal as she was putting on a good show of typical city folk in the bush and it discumbobulated her some when we laughed at what she figured was a major motion picture in the making:biggrin:

The sight was too funny to a couple bushmen, tents were wiggling and shaking, kids crying, "men" yelling bravely? And a poor confused two year old Black bear was 15 feet up a Jackpine, hugging it and hiding his face in terror!:rofl:
We laughed even harder now and the woman who was so panicked swore at us and ran to their tent where her big strong hubby peaked out the flap, a face the natives aptly called "paleface" was a sight! Hee Hee!
We walked to the tree as several frightened voices called.......don't go near it! You could now hear some relief in the voices though, and maybe a bit of embarassment as we stood looking up at the poor confused bear.

The hubbub settled down a lot now, paleface was back in the tent but his wife peeked out and a young guy nearby nearby began to sidle towards us saying, is it dangerous? Nah said Tom, it is you bunch that are dangerous:rolleyes:
Then went on to explain loudly that everyone should quiet down, let the bear climb down and go his way. Well the loud woman yelled NO! There children around here and that is a Bear! She was joined by her brave paleface hubby and a couple other women and said that someone had taken off to inform the Rangers, (a 20 mile drive cause no cellphones in those days) . We had backed off from the tree about 40 feet and were trying to tell the idiots that there was no danger and the scared little bear barely two years old would soon climb down and run for his life. The loud woman was still looking unconvinced and suddenly screamed as little bear began to back down the tree. She screamed and pleaded for us to do something so much that Tom finally sauntered over to the tree, picked up a limb and whacked the bear smartly on the butt, it gained altitude again pronto (while i giggled, sorry but it was funny and did not really hurt the bear, just scared it).
This made that city girl happy and she said if we could keep it up the tree until the ranger came we would be heroes......we did not know what to say, having given up trying to reason with yuppies, so i volunteered to go get the boat and gear ready while Tom played Grizzly Adams for the Latte crowd..

It was surprisingly only a few minutes later when the Ranger drove in, he was making rounds and whoever drove to the station would not find him so it was kinda lucky,in a way:blink:.......
The Ranger settled folks down quite professionally and took charge, telling them the same thing we had said but the loud woman was insisting that he trap it or something, it was his duty to protect them! The silly beeyatch followed by proudly telling the Ranger how Tom had saved them all by whacking the bear with a stick and things started to go sideways. Mr Ranger sir! Drew himself up to his full 5'6" ish and began to tell Tom that he had committed an offence by beating on an animal!
I could see Tom stiffen up as he stepped forward to tower over the uncivil servant and said a few words that cannot be repeated here but they were punctuated with "stupid" "brainless", and do you want a good whipping!? I was some worried cause although both us had little respect for Rangers and Fishcops, i knew my buddy was getting mighty close an action he would regret and was wondering how to defuse the situation when the "paleface" stepped up and said, as his mouthy wife chimed in, hey this guy saved us and all the kids here (there were 3) from serious danger and don't you be threatening him cause we will all go to court for him! The Ranger settled right down and so did Tom, probably from shock! The Ranger asked Tom to keep the bear up the tree while he got the tranquilizer gun. The deed was done, the sleepy little bear loaded in the truck by Tom who picked it up by the scruff easily, dumped it in, and we went fishing as soon as we got away from the grateful city folk........

We had a good day while we watched all the campers leave:lol:

if it weren't fer dumb city people, sometimes there'd be no entertainment at all!:rofl:

At least they stuck up for Tom when "mr. ranger sir" got to feelin his badge weighin down his shirt pocket!

Good story!

Dave

I loved your story...so funny! The poor bear was the one in danger, not the city folks.

Your story with the city folks reminded me about the time that some kin folks from Houston came for a visit and I sorta took advantage of one of my cousins by putting him on a rank horse. This was one old horse, barn sour as could be...the farther from the barn, the more he would make life miserable for the rider. Larry got about two hundred yards from the barn when the horse did a few minor bucks and turned towards the barn at a dead run...Larry yelling at the top of his lungs, holding on for dear life. When they reached the barn it seemed like everything went into slow motion mode...Larry came off the horse and did a cart wheel, I was rolling on the ground from laughing so hard, and everyone came running out of the house to see what all the yelling was about. Needless to say, my father tanned my hide all the way to the house, while everyone else gave me evil looks! The next few days were miserable for me because I was sorta branded as being the "out cast" or "trouble maker." My city cousins were use to riding bikes, and going to the movie house on saturday afternoons...knew nothing about living in the country which made them fair "game" as far as I was concerned.

Wayne, if I had been with you that day, I think that I probably would have sorta told a few stories to enhance their fear of that poor bear. We would have had a great time, trust me! Thanks for posting this story...it was a good one. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

n/t

for encouraging my city friends to drink the ice cold soda water from the tap at the stock well. when real cold it tasted fine but they would spend the next day or so with a bellyache and real close to the outhouse!:lol:
I wish you could have been there also but not sure if i would have survived with all that "help":biggrin:

it was a 50 cal stick too.....:bouncy:
Say have you ever read the "Lawdog files"? Google it
Thanks Lawman!

n/t

used to things like this, they scare us silly! I probably would have felt the same way, but you would have only had to tell me once. this was a really good story, Wayner. Maybe you will share more of your adventures with Tom with all of us here! I certainly hope so.:)

I used to live in a sub that was out in the country a bit. There were a lot of houses in it and many of the people had come from the city.

I was out for a walk and got to talking to a guy. He told me about the wild amimals in the area. He said he had killed a possum or a coon in his garage the night before and wondered what he should do about it. I walked over to his garbage can was a dead muskrat.

Good story Wayne, as usual!!:rofl:

Thanks ...Great story ...
Not sure I care to have anything to do with bear , ....I have been asked if I wanted to hunt them by a couple of guides I know in Maine something about sitting out in the woods over a bucket of day old donuts to shoot something that does not rate high on my list of Good Eat'n just does not appeal to me ... was never in to the trophy thing ...either it was varmint and needed kill'n or it was Good Eat'n other than that it gets a free pass ...
Again Thanks ..
Bill G.

n/t