Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bear Medicine....(Gun post opinions appreciated)

Dan-MO

I have a friend who has been bugging me for a year or so trying to trade me out of a Remington 1100 20 ga shotgun.This weekend he brought over this Ruger #1 in 300 WIN Mag complete with a redfield scope.I made the trade.I have never fired a 300 mag but have heard horror stories about the recoil-understand I have been firing guns for over 40 years and hunted deer many years with a remington 30:06 carbine that had a pretty hefty recoil - but that was before I had my pacemaker. Although I gave up deer hunting many years ago my son is begging me to go with him this year and I am considering it.Also I have long had a dream of someday making a trip to hunt for BIG game-elk,moose or bear.Not sure if it will ever happen-but if it did what is your opinion of this gun for this type game.Anyone had any experience with a 300 mag?

on dangerous game like a bear. The rifle is fairly accurate, but you might experience some vertical spread while the barrel is still hot. The recoil pad that comes with the rifle is more for preventing the stock from slipping from your shoulder and it would be advised to have a good gun smith replace it with a real recoil pad that will take some of the sting out of the recoil. Some of the earlier #1's came with a Douglas barrel. Dan, these are well designed rifles with a very strong action. You definetly came out way ahead on this trade. Also, you might discuss this with your doctor to make sure that it would be OK to shoot a firearm with a heavy recoil. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

a large choice of bullet weights for any game on this continent. Put the muffs on and you may not think the recoil is bad at all.
You can reload nearly as fast as a bolt action with a bit of practice. Like Fred said, check with the Doc.

A single shot is not necessarily to my liking.... I just do not think that I am that good a shot. However, listen to Fred on this one. I will defer to his greater expertise.

However, if you want a great hunting trip, [and I am serious on this,] please do not hesitate to think of coming up here. I head out for moose on Monday and with any luck, will get one.

Calm seas

Mikie

Dan I had A Remington 30.06 many years ago and still remember the kick of it after to many rounds at the shooting range. I am not familiar with a 300.'s kick but I agree with Kelly you should check with your doctor first.

Just read down to what you have shot and compare it to the Win 300 mag... Recoill pad, additional clothing all help. I've found while hunting I don't notice recoil, but bench rest, I sure do...

Check this out.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

George-CT

My son is coming down this weekend and I will let him take the first shot or two.I have fired some old 12 gauges over the years that brought tears to your eyes......my grandfather used to describe his old 12 single barrel as "kills at one end,cripples on the other". I can't imagine any modern firearm with much more recoil.

I just might take you up on that offer one of these days if things go as planned! Linda and I would love to meet you and Alice and to see the beautiful Country you live in and maybe tag along on a hunt would be iceing on the cake!

Like I mentioned to George my son will be here this weekend and I will let him take the first shot.....I will then check the bruise on his shoulder before I decide to shoot it!:biggrin:

I hadn't thought about the one shot factor when dealing with a bear.Guess I better practice reloading in a hurry.....or better still find a hunting partner that I am sure I can out run!:lol: