Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

beachhunting with threshold in low iron tone

cash

I am still learning my sov elite with 10" coil and am amazed what it will do in comparison to other machines. i found out an interesting aspect of it this year on the beach in south carolina that i thought i would pass on, maybe somebody can use it. we all want maximum depth so I tried to use all-metal which gives me about 2 inches more in the wet salt sand based on the threshold response between all-metal and discriminate, but the noisy threshold of all-metal drives me nuts in about an hour, so i use discriminate mode for the solid stable threshold. given the elite is set at optimum sensitivity for stability and no falsing (which for me is 12 o'clock), discriminate all the way down and proper slow sweep speed (foot to foot and a half a second), i started leaving the threshold tone in the lowest iron tone that comes after the iron null, rather than mode toggle back to the reset to normal threshold tone. what i found was that sometimes this lowest threshold tone would do one jump up to a higher tone and stay there but sweeping would not indicate a target, which i had previously thought was the machine falsing. but when i switched to all metal, every time there was a deep faint repeatable target signal there that was not registering in discriminate and not one was a false signal. i found quite a lot of lower tone (maybe gold!) targets this way that i would have otherwise missed in discrimination at normal threshold, but i was still seemingly getting the extra depth of the all metal mode at the same time. they were all deep targets that took 3 to 5 long handle 6" scoops to get to and most seemed over 12 inches deep although it was hard to tell with the sand falling in the deep holes. i could either dig the target or scrape off 3-4 inches of sand away with the bill of my scoop and use the tone id to determine if i wanted to dig it. there is always plenty of iron around, so you can keep the threshold in the low iron tone most of the time and you do get used to the low tone.