Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach Story

douglaskc

I just started metal detecting again after putting it down for a few years. Last night I went out to a Lake Michigan beach. I don't think I'd ever really detected at a beach before. Of course it was much easier to dig with the scoop. I was basically digging everything. Clearly someone already detects this beach because I didn't find a whole lot. But I did find 2 matchbox cars which I gave to my grandson this morning. I also found a very delicate toe ring that seems to be made of silver and has some kind of stone in it. I found a small silver heart that says "surf" on both sides...looks like it fell off a charm bracelet. And maybe 75 cents in change.

I also found about a million nails. I was telling the part attendant about all the nails I found and carted out and he said they had just re-roofed the pavilion and nails had flown everywhere.

Oh and I kind of helped a lady with 4 kids find her car keys. She came up and asked me if I could help her find her keys. She had lost them on the beach somewhere but wasn't sure where. I asked where she wanted me to look and she pointed me toward a place and I started looking. I did a nice grid and wasn't finding them. Meanwhile she's still looking. After a while she comes over still looking sad. There's like nobody but me, her, her 4 kids, the attendant and maybe one other person there and she's getting worried about getting home. I said I could give her a ride or make a call for her if it got to that.

So I asked her where she wanted to look next and she said she had also been at another place further down the beach. I said let's try to walk exactly where you walked and I'll kind of swing the detector while you walk ahead. We went a little ways and she gave out a little shout and picked her keys up from a spot about 5 feet to the left of where we were walking.

So I didn't "detect" her keys but at least felt like I helped!

Nice job getting her focused on where she had been. That helps a lot!

Beach hunting can turn up very nice things but in many I have hunted I frequently don't a large coin count.

Welcome back to detecting!
tvr

Thank you! I've really got the bug back. I just wish I had more time to do it. Do you think there's so few coins because people detect a lot or because of some other reason?

Some beaches get a lot of people detecting. Some Carolina beaches (north and south) I've seen sand accumulation of a couple of inches overnight or through the day. Buries everything deeper.
tvr

A county park, North Beach park...used to be called North Shore...in Ferrysburg. Kind of small. Have you been there?