Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

beach scoop

e-train

i am looking for a beach scoop so i can start detecting on the beach. i have an ace 250 so i mainly need a sand scoop something that is not expensive i found a galvanized scoop for 20.00 is this a good scoop
i was reading a page from a site that says don't buy a galvanized scoop what is the main difference and will it last a long time?
i don't want to spend an overload of cash to buy one would a homemade scoop work fine? and what would i need and how to make one?
the picture on the bottom is the one i found online looking to buy.

can someone please help.

For 20.00 that is a decent scoop. I use galvenize scoop all the time and have no problem with it..
At that price you can't go wrong. The only problem is if you have a rocky beach it may bend or wrap.
I would suggest a long handle one eventually so you dont have to bend down all the time..
What you have for 20.00 is a good beginner scoop..

e-train said:
i am looking for a beach scoop so i can start detecting on the beach. i have an ace 250 so i mainly need a sand scoop something that is not expensive i found a galvanized scoop for 20.00 is this a good scoop
i was reading a page from a site that says don't buy a galvanized scoop what is the main difference and will it last a long time?
i don't want to spend an overload of cash to buy one would a homemade scoop work fine? and what would i need and how to make one?
the picture on the bottom is the one i found online looking to buy.

can someone please help.

Do not buy it. Buy with long handle. To dig using your foot. Detecting having to bend or squat on every signal will be a torture. I did it only once and it was enough. And that one mine was with a short handle ( 20``- 30`` I guess) still it was torture.

You will save yourself a lot of stooping over and the digging is much easier with your foot than with your hand. A more open meshed scoop will also drain quicker in the dry sand, especially if the sand is damp from a rain or from morning dew. Wet sand tends to clump up in a scoop with holes drilled in it but a mesh scoop sifts damp sand much better. You want some reinforcing for the mesh scoop with a long handle or you may collapse the basket by pushing on it too hard with your foot. Check out some of the sponsors for different models.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:
(PS: the ACE 250 will do well in all metal mode at the beach, just cut back the sensitivity if you hit the wet sand with it or it will give you nothing but static, great in the dry sand though)

i see why the long handled scoops are better i was at the beach last weekend with no scoop and just a trowel and it was painful to search forever in the sand to find the targets so i stopped after digging up 2 lead fishing weights and 2 pull tabs.
will homemade scoops work just as well and last long time i might resort to making one instead of buying one right now can anybody give me some tips to use. i found this metal it might be mesh it has square holes would it work in sand and how would i build one using it.

e-train said:
i see why the long handled scoops are better i was at the beach last weekend with no scoop and just a trowel and it was painful to search forever in the sand to find the targets so i stopped after digging up 2 lead fishing weights and 2 pull tabs.
will homemade scoops work just as well and last long time i might resort to making one instead of buying one right now can anybody give me some tips to use. i found this metal it might be mesh it has square holes would it work in sand and how would i build one using it.

Home made are the best. If you can provide quality welding and metall bending.

I have all the best and most expensive commercially produced scoops (including Diamond with extended handle), anyway my favourite one is my custom designed and made one. I keep improving and testing/upgrading it little by little and have plans to manufacture one for sale as a trial in a few months. So far for me it is the ultimate machine. Scoop is not less important than good MD.

So, go ahead with a correct home-made!

HH!!

I use a 14 inch sand scoop with the mash opening. works great . Handle at a good angle about $45 can be less if your lucky.

A few more dollars, a longer handle, and soooo much less pain.. shaka Mikey:thumbup:

i don't do the bend over stuff to well any more after back surgery. i found this scoop to be a little more sturdy than the wire mesh versions and sifts dry sand just about as well.

[attachment 102342 4inresized.jpg]

the handle length can be adjusted or the long portion removed for those that like the deep knee bends.

[attachment 102343 longhandleremovedresized.jpg]

heres a better look at the scoop.

[attachment 102345 frontviewresized.jpg]

hh steve

kaptainkosmic said:
i don't do the bend over stuff to well any more after back surgery. i found this scoop to be a little more sturdy than the wire mesh versions and sifts dry sand just about as well.

[attachment 102342 4inresized.jpg]

the handle length can be adjusted or the long portion removed for those that like the deep knee bends.

[attachment 102343 longhandleremovedresized.jpg]

heres a better look at the scoop.

[attachment 102345 frontviewresized.jpg]

Thank you for sharing, Captain!

hh steve