Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

beach hunting

Quattro Tim

Went coin hunting at the beach today in So. Cal. Had a good day with alot of coins (alot to me ).Sometimes I would get 40 on the scale and then another no. and then 40 would stay. I would dig and find nothing. The machine would be arratic at times and my batteries were low, could this cause this.
I'm new to this and the more I go out the more I get use to the machine. I love the pinpoint and have no trouble with it. Any ideas on the 40 reading and what it coild be? Thanks

Gidday Quattro Tim, you don't say what mode you're working in, or of the conditions of the sand (any iron?). But to get a reading of 40 changing to something else is irratic behaviour, and yes if your batteries are low, it might cause this. But if they are low, your detect would be making a wobbly sound that indicates this is the case. I'd firstly be checking to see that everything is working in good order with the detector first, then if it is, think about the type of ground conditions you're working in. Have you played around with the different modes, working in ferrous and conductive tones? About the one time you'd be getting a reading of 40+ on your screen, is because you've detected a relic, or even possibly a coin, that's not giving a true reading had it been in vey good to near perfect condition, and in ground that the detector is having no trouble reading it. But then, I've learned that there are too many variants with the Quattro, to say it could be any one thing. It's really a matter of learning the machine well, through constant use and practice, in the different modes, using different sensitivites, in different ground conditions. If you work the beach alot, then it shouldn't take you too much time to pick it up well. You say you have no trouble pinpointing, and that's a good thing, because many who jump from a concentric coil to the Quattro's DD coil, do have a problem with it, till they get used to it. Just my thinking on it for what it's worth!
All the best
Angela:detecting::)

I was working in the coin jewerly mode. Im headed back today and charged my batteries so i'll see how it goes. Do you ever hunt in the all metal mode at the beach? Also sometimes I get a short blip and when I go back to check it even at different angles I get nothing. I'll figure it out, just takes practice I guess. But I love the Quattro.

40 is nearly always a hot rock,common enough signal on the beach but rare on land,ignore it.

Nearly all false signals are caused by using a high disc mode with too much sensitivity,use all metal all the time,it's noisy buy it's really the only way to go.

and as for what James said about the 40+ readings, it almost always could be hot rocks like iron ore, or rock with minerals of a similar makeup. But after a while, you'll learn that "some" 40+ are something else worthwhile digging. But I would assume it happens more often on the goldfields, than at the beach, because of the type of relics you're likely to find.
Angela:)

Tim, I was out on a beach here in CT. yesterday and hunting in Coin/Jewelry mode, with my sensitivity set at 10, high trash setting, and I occasionally did get the blip you mentioned. I believe it is just the detector adapting and reseting itself to the various ground conditions once in a while, or the battery voltage circut resetting itself, or could be the effect of sand in the coil cover as mentioned at the top of this forum. As for the 40 reading with other mixed numbers, I got that many times on bottlecaps. I never did get it with not finding anything, but it could be hot rocks. I had a good day anyway with 1 gold ladies ring, 1 gold plated jesus medal, 1 sterling ring with 3 purple stones, 4 silver quarters, 3 silver dimes and $4.20 in change. I was with about 15 other guys in a detecting club her, and a couple other guys found a couple silver and 1 gold ring. I had the only Quattro and there was only 1 Explorer 11. Most were using various Fishers or Minelab Excalibers, and a couple Whites machines. I will add that the Quattro on the dry beach was a pain because of all the trash stuff. Out in the low tide flats it was fine. The trash had me digging deep holes to only find soda can parts and and pull tabs and it got very tiring.

I took my Quattro out for a spin in the woods yesterday and tried what some Explorers have been using for settings (Quattro and Explorers are similar). And got very good results. Hardly any falsing and target was there every time. The soil was very sandly and next to a river.

Well I detected in all metal mode like some people told me to do and had no false readings. I found my first ring also! I set sen. at 8 and never changed it. I had only 2 hours to detect so next time i'll try different sen. settings. Found several coins, 1 susan b,1 ring, 1 ear ring. Can't wait till next time. Thanks everyone for the advise.