Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach hunting tips?

waynard

I plan to use my Ace 250 at the beach at low tide. I have some questions. I understand that the Ace is not the best machine in the wet sand environment and can produce a lot of false signals. I also understand that I can overcome them by reducing the sensitivity just to the point where false signals are eliminated. Does that affect depth? Is there an inverse relationship between sensitivity and depth?
Also, the beach here is very gently sloped so, at low tide you can go out a long ways. Where's the best place to hunt on the beach? Up where people lay on blankets? or, in areas normally covered by water at high tide?
So much to learn...

It Is not the best time to MD the beaches for the Ace. I lived near Daytona Beach for over 16 years. In the winter most of the good stuff is in the water. If you see deep holes of water dug out by eddies and the current, that is the best places to hunt. Some of those holes are 6 ft. deep. The sand gets taken away in the winter and the good stuff is down underneath that sand. The lowest part of the beach has the most sand taken away. That means there is going to be lots of water.

Summer tourist are the best source of goodies for the Ace. I would MD after most leave around 4 pm. I don't know where you will be MD'ing , look for where the people are hanging out. If there are night spots on the beach like the band shelter area at Daytona Beach, then hit it in the early mornings. I mean at sunrise. People get partying and lose things. If you aren't early enough, others will beat you to the goodies.

I have posted this quite a few times over the years. I hope it helps you a little.

Salt water tips on Daytona Beach for the Ace:

sensitivity..4-3 in wet sand
use all metal mode
PP is very vague,detune pp works good
Fast moving water makes it false..sen. 1...no good cure
swing level
You can hear and learn a false hit from a good hit
YOU CAN notch out below penny and eliminate most falsing and all gold
Pennies 4" and quarters at 6" in wet sand
Stay in the dry sand and you can beat them all(well, it seems like it)

Summer treasure comes from tourist. Winter treasure comes from the sea.

Be there this early.

[attachment 151083 2-10-07sunrise.jpg]

This is too late.

[attachment 151082 2-10-07goldenbirds3.jpg]
[attachment 151084 daybreakatbeach2.jpg]

Just be glad you can get out to do any detecting. A lot of people here and in Canada can't. As for finding goodies in the winter time... check out the current video's on You Tube. Lots of information there on beach hunting also. I've learned a ton of knowledge looking at some recents video's on BH. Best of luck and good huning! Jack in Austin

Stay in the dry sand. The 250 is a great metal detector but it really does not do very well in wet salted sand. The minerals in salt water will false all day long.

yep, thats what daytona looked like last night...
did a night hunt last night for an hour, only got a nickel and a quarter, i should have stayed longer but was tired from riding harley allday and had to ride back to orlando before rain came.. i can share best of both worlds ..ride and hunt... its great..:clapping::detecting::thumbup: