Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach hunting tips - please add more!

kpeterk

Here are a few tips that have helped me. They have been gleaned from various sites. I know I'm missing a lot so please add your own!

1. Start at least two hours before low tide
2. Strong offshore (outgoing) winds will lower the water level and reduce the size of waves. These winds also spread out the sand at the waters edge. Incoming wind and waves tend to pile sand up.
3. High winds can alter the tide. The stage is set to hit the beach when the wind subsides.
4. Work areas that have a concentration of shells, gravel, and driftwood.
5. Look for tidal pools and streams draining back to the ocean.
6. Try starting from the high tide mark down to the water

In or out of the water people playing football ,Frisbee, darts, volleyball. all cause jewelry to be lost.

Watch where the people congregate in the water, and look at the depth they tend to stay in. Chest deep water at mid tide may be waist deep for you to hunt at low tide.

Hunt in front of the high end Hotels, more of a chance of finding good jewelry.

I hunt late evening or early morning on crowded beaches so I don't have to spend time dodging people and answering questions. I love to talk to people but after driving 2 hrs. to the beach I want as much time to hunt as possible.

Check with Lifeguards to see if anyone has reported losing anything in a certain area.

I am sure there are more hints to come, this is my 2 cents worth. HH

1) Be careful of any possible undertow's in the area that you plan to hunt.

2) Before going detecting in the water, be sure to let someone know where you will be.

1. Use a small coil and hunt as close as possiable to metal objects. Seawalls, posts.
2. Check all Cigrette packs for $$$.
3. TAKE THE DAMM TRASH TO THE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!
4. Kick sand in the craters.
5. Do the "stingray shuffle" when water hunting in the late eve/ night.

Avoid showing or telling people what you've found - especially if it's something good! The best answer is "a handfull of change and alot of junk."

get to know your beach, make notes on sand or gravel levels against structures , so you know if conditions are in your favour,
2. be prepared with the right clothing to work in extreme conditions straight after bad weather, it,s no joke when even the salt water freezes!
3. always check large targets, a 3 oz silver chain can sound like a can.
4. if you hit a good area at the low tide mark , dig the trash out , you never know what it,s masking
5. never use your hands to dig, sooner or later you will come across a syringe, needles, or broken glass
i used to live just behind the seafront, and found in summer the best time was from 3.30 am , just the odd dog walker for company, start much earlier than that and you have drunks all over the place!

Take pictures of the babes and post them frequently.:devil:

Dig all targets but solid Iron if it sqeeks a little good dig it.
use no discrimination.
plenty of suntan lotion and don't wear teevas and get a burn on feet!...Ouch and looks funny.

have fun and don't expect gold in every trip to beach.....Eye candy will be the gold :devil:

pay the meters well...it will catch up to ya.....

They will know all YOU know PLUS what THEY know.

The next thing YOU know you will have some unwanted competition and the mumbles.

Keep your cards close to your chest and have a great time counting your loot at home and not on the beach.

aj

Wow, that sounds like the old school of thought.

There's plenty of things to find on the beach and it will never be empty - no matter how many people search it. Why not share what you know and learn what you don't? My two cents....

One thing you don't share is your spots... Don't post pictures of where you hunt or the next time you go you may not get a signal.. I shared 1 time when I first started, the very next time I went to that beach it looked like it had come under a mortar attck as there were holes everywhere.. nothing wrong with keeping a few secrets :)

Have broken glass pieces , nails ,screws and sharp objects in your pouch to show the caulker's ,that should clear the area your hunting in..:surprised:

Old school is this: don't brag about your finds or next time your 2 cents will be my 2 cents...

I always wished I could have hunted with norm, But I didn't start hunting galveston until just before he died. I always went to his website and would copy what he wrote then set up all night reading and memorizing it. then I would go to the beach and hunt and try to recall and understand what he was saying. It took me awhile to understand but the more I hunted the more I understood what he was saying. then one day it all came togeather and I started to become a succesful beach hunter. and thats mostly where I hunt now. And if I meet a hunter and they want some information I'll tell them. I'll even show them where I found the gold and if they go out there and find some that I missed thats okay. I should have done a better job of detecting. hh willia