Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BEACH HUNTING: GRID OR LINEAR??

[size=large]Greetings again everyone!

Ok, so here's the question of the day:

Is it better (more productive) to go linear "willie nilly" down the beach, or have a strict grid pattern search of about 50' x 50' sections down the beach.

The reason I ask is that this morning I saw a whole bunch of detectorists decend on South Beach (Miami Beach) Florida and start searching like headless chickens down the beach, then leave after a while. I, on the other hand, stuck to a grid search, but am always thinking they're finding more than me.

Any suggestions, experiences, advice, preferences?

Thanks again,

Tony[/size]

Your feelings are normal for a rookie, we all had our doubts. I witness 8 hunters ascend on to a small beach in Chicago,(all water hunting) only to leave after a hour or so empty handed. The reasons why they left.........they didn't find anything.......got tired......got hungry......grass was greener down the street......took a nap!

I, on the other hand stuck to my game plan and had the BEST! day of the season, 6 rings, 8 bucks in change and some .925. Why, cause I pounded the day-lites
out of the lanes.
So, don't be concern about what the other guy does, hunt your own hunt.

Welcome to the Forum:thumbup:

I've only been to the beach about a dozen times since I started detecting in Nov.'07 The first 6 hunts or so I walked the line and didn't make any significant finds. I went over my strategy and realized I had all the right tools, the only thing that bugged me was zig zagging/ meandering down the beach. I decided I would try to pick out a productive area and grid it. The very first time I did that I found a gold ring, I kept with that strategy and have found 2 more gold rings. You're covering ground both ways and you can make finds either way, it's just a matter of what you feel is the best for you. Good Luck!
Glenn

It is how well you use your machine that counts. You can walk behind a detectorist finding nothing and with the right settings and motions you will find treasure that he walked right over.

Quite a bit depends on your site, knowledge of a particular location and daily conditions. There is a lot to be said for griding, and I have found quite a few pieces of gold that way. That being said, I have also had days griding areas that were completely unproductive, so begins the "haphazard" meander down the beach. It however is not random. I am looking for areas where targets may be appearing in worthwhile quantities. I am looking for low spots in the sand, small cuts, changes in slope and exposed coarse sand and gravel which may indicate targets closer to the surface. I then begin working these areas harder, and grid if necessary. I am sure I don't speak for everyone here. There are as many different approaches as there are hunters. Some of your competition may just be wandering, but some may be employing site reading techniques to increase there chances of a find, and if a particular location is not producing to there liking, they may just be picking up and heading to a location that may be more productive. Give it some time, and learn your sites well. You will figure out what works best for you!!!
Patient Persistence Pays!!!
Best Regards,
Keith

Dry sand is good during the peak season......Items can be anywhere, hence grid.......High tide line zig zag till you find a coin.....then stay in a straight line parallel to water and you will find coins in a line...more or less......then when coins run out.....take 15-20 large steps toward the water......then zig zag again till you find a coin......then stay in a straight line and you will find coins in a line again......so on, so on down to the water.......I find the mid tide is best,down to low tide line for rings.......when I find coins very close with in a 20' line I grid the area and will find a small pocket of goodies......so once you find a coin line you are in the right spot.....but start at high tide mark and work you way down to the water.....if the tide has an arch to it then your straight line will arch with the water line.......hope this helped.....:smoke:

don't get along. I work the "coin line" when I find it, then back and forth several times above and below the first line, going a little further each time, extending the path.

I work linear, nonpattern on my hunts, working the lane and mine in a zig zag pattern that let's me follow my 'gut' to the loot. Not a scientific approach but it works. If I run into a nice pocket of finds I will switch to a grid search to work that hot zone but just as often I will spiral out and back in on a zone full of goodies, hitting the area from all angles to get a tone from finds on edge.
Use the Force, Luke!:starwars::cool:

I usually hunt parallel, sometimes I grid, sometimes I grid parallel with the beach. depends on the water current and how tired my arm gets.

Definately GRID, I turned up to a surfers paradise beach late one afternoon and was told by surfer's that i was wasting my time as between 5 to 7 other operators had hit the same 200 odd meters of beach before I arrived. I thought you beauty that much less rubbish to dig. I gridded doggedly and ended up with about $90 in coin, a digital camera, platinum ring (5gr), 925 bracelot (41.1gr), 925 ring (6gr) and the usual cheap jewelery items. Go low and slow and have the last laugh! HH regards Nugget. P.S. I was using the BH T4 one of the cheapest detectors on the market, they were using Minelabs and other top of the line units. Technique is more important than the detector used INHO.

I pay attention to my gut as well. You find the things you are meant to find. It's all luck after the detector and the detectorist start working...

I hunt Linear, if I find a good piece of loot I'll spend extra time in that area. As far as what Dig said about your gut guiding you. Sometimes I leave my house with all tools ready to go, without a clue as to where I will be hunting. When I get to the intersection down from my house the gut takes over, River? Lake? Gulf? Ocean?. Granted sometimes the gas gauge helps me decide.

I do believe in a gut feeling when I hit the water, it my be swayed by the cuts in the sand or the crowd in the water. Then there are days I think so hard about what I am doing it hurts. The thing I have found is when I just enjoy the day that is when I do the best, then again it may be the Gold in the scoop that makes you enjoy the day.

Just have fun!!!!! HH

[size=medium][/size] I learned to hunt with one of the best..Terry from Minnesota..Terry sends hours a day on the beaches of the Space Coast of Florida and leaves with several dozen rings, necklaces and bags of clad each year..He taught me to linear first, then from the top of the dunes down to the surf and back again..I always seem to find more using his system than going linear alone...........HH