Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach Detecting with the ACE250

DJR

Hi all

I know I have read several times on here that most of you discourage using the ACE "in" salt water or have said it does not do "well" in salt water. My next "adventure" (test) with my ACE is along the beach and would like some ideas of how to get "the best" out of using the ACE in salt water.

I have a location that recently had a fire and "the old road" I had been looking for and researched that lead to an 1800's era sponge shipping/dock area has "exposed" itself. I want to detect the road area all the way to the beach and then out into the adjacent water areas where I believe some remnant pilings are located. I do not believe anyone has detected this location as of yet so I would like some tips from some of you that have used the ACE "in salt water". I will be detecting the uplands, the dry beach line areas, and as the tide goes out the water areas.

I think I read that I should reduce the SEN to about 1 or 2? What setting should I use AM or other?

You know I hate to be like others on here but looking up in the archives can be time consuming.

Don

I lived in Fl. two years ago and MD'ed the beach a lot.

Salt water tips on Daytona Beach for the Ace:

sensitivity..4-3 in wet sand
use all metal mode
PP is very vague,detune pp works good
Fast moving water makes it false..sen. 1...no good cure
swing level
You can hear and learn a false hit from a good hit
YOU CAN notch out below penny and eliminate most falsing and all gold
Pennies 4" and quarters at 6" in wet sand
Stay in the dry sand and you can beat them all(well, it seems like it)

Summer treasure comes from tourist. Winter treasure comes from the sea.

John 'n' W.Va said:
I lived in Fl. two years ago and MD'ed the beach a lot.

Salt water tips on Daytona Beach for the Ace:

sensitivity..4-3 in wet sand
use all metal mode
PP is very vague,detune pp works good
Fast moving water makes it false..sen. 1...no good cure
swing level
You can hear and learn a false hit from a good hit
YOU CAN notch out below penny and eliminate most falsing and all gold
Pennies 4" and quarters at 6" in wet sand
Stay in the dry sand and you can beat them all(well, it seems like it)

Summer treasure comes from tourist. Winter treasure comes from the sea.
That's a good writing, there, John. I recently started using an Ace 250, but I hunt inland(nowhere near the beach). I know lots of folks that use them everywhere, including the beach, and they say that sensitivity is a key to good salt area hunts.

I've hunted a few times on the beach with the Ace. After playing around with it a bit, I found that for wet sand, dropping the sensitivity alone didn't help with the falsing. I found that reducing it to 5 bars and knocking out the bottom 3 notches made the Ace stable and still allows you to find gold rings eta.
For dry sand, put the big coil on (even for the wet stuff too) crank up to 7 bars and you will have better depth than most detectors! I've tested on a beach on measured targets against my Explorer with the standard coil (10.5in) and X-Terra 30 with a 10.5in coil. The Ace was hitting $2 coins (smaller coin) at a measured 10inches. The X-Terra bombed out at 8 an the Explorer at 9inches!
In the wet sand, you only get half depth though. That's where the Explorer killed it.
Due to it's light weight, you can swing it all day and not fatigue if you swap hands regularly.
Mick Evans.

I've found that when it false signals, you can't get them to repeat. When you get a good signal it will repeat. I hunt in all metal and run 4 or 5 bars on wet sand.