Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Be Careful What You Wish For . .

AuzeeSheila

As a child, growing up in tropical Brisbane, every home had a 'fruitful' garden. In the farthest corner from the house, was the chook (chicken) pen and it was surrounded by trees of all types. No garden was considered worthy unless it had a few Banana, Custard Apple and Paw-Paw (Pa-pya?) trees, at least one Mulberry bush and also a passionfruit vine along the fence. These were supplementary to the vegetable garden, which every woman used for fresh produce in the daily menu. Most kids would be sent out each afternoon to pick some seasonal beans, peas or tomatoes; cut a lettuce or cabbage, and also to pick whatever fruit was ripe, for desert. Most of the kids I knew, ate half as much again of what they took inside, while they picked.

My favourite was the Mango tree. Every yard had a Mango tree . . . except ours. The standard Mango tree was a huge trunked, massively canopied tree that could shade most of the house and half the yard. In fact, I think that was why they were planted in the first place . . . apart from the beautiful golden fruit they produced. Each year, after Christmas, when summer was at it's hottest, these trees became the chief source of God's nectar - for kids, at least.

Most days, parents never had to worry where their kids were. One step out of the back door and they were re-assured by the soft murmurs of their children doing what they did every summer, all day long. Perched high up in the tree would be anywhere from two to ten children, gorging themselves on Mangoes. We would sit up in the tree, dressed in our swimming togs (costume,) on Mum's orders, peeling and sucking all the juice from each piece of fruit. When we had had enough we would be sticky, orange monsters with long strings of Mango hair hanging from between our teeth, and have to hose off in the yard, before being allowed inside the house again.

As we didn't have such a tree, we had to be 'nice' to our neighbours kids or they wouldn't allow us into their tree. If a neighbourhood feud broke out, the kids without a mango tree could be tortured, without redemption. The kids with Mango trees held 'the power' all summer long. They also had a way of making extra pocket money. They would pick Mangoes and sell them at the front of their houses. This meant they also had more money to spend than the 'have nots.' It must have been during one of these feuds that I decided I would make sure my kids had a Mango tree, if it killed me.

It took a long time, but finally, I did it. Over the years the number of Mango trees in Brisbane sadly declined and they became a rare sight indeed, by the time we moved away. We used to pass through this town on our way to the in-laws at Xmas, and I was surprised each and every summer that there were so many Mango trees and the local kids weren't out front selling them by the bucket load. They were selling for anything up to $3 each in the fruit shops in Brisbane. When we moved here, my eldest was thirteen and the youngest was seven . . all just the right age to enjoy a Mango tree. We bought a house with one tree of it's own and two neighbours trees, which hung over our fence. I couldn't wait for our first summer.

Well . . . I waited and waited . . for seven long hot summers to pass, before we got one decent crop of Mangos. The weather conditions each winter were such that the trees didn't get enough water - or too much; it was too warm - or too cold, and so flowered too early, before the summer heat could set the fruit.

By the time we had that first crop, the children had matured so much that they wouldn't have been caught dead climbing a tree. For the last seven years we have had many, many Mangoes and nary a child to be seen.

More Mangoes than have ever been in history; they rain down night and day. They drop on the tin roof of the shed next door, in the middle of the night. Louts pick them up and throw them at our house, in the middle of night. Each evening at dusk, the sky darkens with clouds of fruit bats which come to roost in the Mango trees to screech and fight, all night long. They only eat a little bit of each Mango, so we get to pick up all the half eaten ones they drop. I leave shopping bags full of intact Mangoes near the footpath everyday, hoping that someone will steal them. Do thieves only like to steal things that are hard to get?

It

Just curiosity... you say that the number of mango tree is/hasbeen dropping for a few years. Any idea as to why?

Maybe you can spoil the grandkids [if there are ay] when the time comes.

fair winds

Mikie

I'm not sure Mikie, but I think the younger generation doesn't have time to enjoy them. I think a lot of them were chopped down in favour of pools. You couldn't have a pool and a Mango tree, because the tree drops leaves and twigs all the time and the tree sends out massive roots which get into pipes (sewer) and crack concrete. There could be an age factor involved too. One of our neighbours trees gradually lost all of it's foliage and he had to get it removed. Now I see another tree in his yard is also getting very bare. Where once we looked out onto lush green foliage, now all we see is garage rooves.

As I will be 61 on Sunday, I have given up on having grandkids visiting me in this house. They will probably have to visit me in a nursing home by the time they arrive.
Sheila.

Great story Sheila and Happy Birthday Sunday.

i am the same way about fruit here. Planted many fruit and nut trees of all varieties some 20 years back. The Deer trashed them as quick as i could plant, wired around them as i could not afford to put deer proof fence around several acres. Now i have too much fruit to use and too little to make any money selling. My grandkids are too far away, their favorites are Asian pears (apple pears?) which i grow and they sure like it when i send them some at Christmas but dang expensive to ship!
I also enjoy Mango fruit and envy you, sorta:biggrin:

Wayne

It is interesting to hear how you grew up and what it was like where you live. I am a little older than you but I too have seen many changes . Kids are not interested in the things I was, catching frogs and camping out. I never had a Mango tree but we sure used to know where ever dang pear, apple and cherry tree was and the best time to raid them.

I have a big pear tree in my yard now and I never pick a pear off it. They fall to the ground and the wasps get them.

You sure have a great way to take a reader along with you. Thanks again

rash in the corners of your mouth from eating so many mangos?i remember that,there were mango trees on the golf course of the air force base my dad was staioned at.

n/t

Thanks everyone for your kind wishes, doesn't seem that long ago when 40 was like the 'final frontier,' none of us really thought that we'd ever be that old. Now, I wish I could be there again . . . hush my mouth . . . that's where all this started.

As I write this, the time here is 3:08pm, Saturday the 16th. We are roughly 15 hrs ahead of you, depending on daylight saving, so that we have used most of the day up by the time you get it.

No David, we didn't get a rash from eating the Mangoes, I think we were immune by our second summer. There used to be a syndrome called 'School sores,' that erupted about the same time as the Mangoes appeared each year. As we were on the annual six week summer vacation at that time, I couldn't get the connection. Although, as soon as the Mangoes ended, we did start school again. Maybe it was withdrawal syptoms LOL.

We have an apple/pear fruit called a Nashi? here, though I don't know where they originated from. I thought they were some type of genetically modified fruit. Actually, they've mucked around with nearly all the fruit and vegetables here so much, that none of them taste the way they used to. Maybe my taste buds are getting old too . . you think?

Sheila.

That last post went up at 11:28pm -- 15/02, your time, and 3:28pm, the 16th, my time. If my math is right, that's16hrs difference. If that is any help to you all.
Sheila.

Yes Arkie John, they do don't they? My current treasure, garden wise, is Macadamia's, or as they are really called, 'Bauple' ( Bopple) nuts, as they originally came from the little township of Bauple about 20 mins south of here. I have one next to the Mango tree and it produces all year long. They aren't as messy as Mangoes but they are a whole lot harder to peel. They sell for about $20 a kilo in the shops.
Sheila.

thing when we were young, but they were not mangos of course, not here in Arkansas, but rather apples. We had a huge fruit orchard that our grandfather actually planted for my mother and daddy after they bought their property. Arkie actually posted a story about helping our grandfather plant the seeds. There were many belly aches from sitting in the apple trees eating apples much too green to harvest. But the money we made selling them door to door was what gave us the spending money to go to Fullington's Grocery to buy our Grapette Soda and candy!. After all, if you sold a wagon full of apples for a dollar to some lady who wanted to can them, we thought we had made a fortune. Only after I grew up did I realize it was the ladies that made the best deal! We would pick those apples every day, and some even gave us orders to fill.

Though they were taking advantage of us...............we weren't aware of it...........and everyone was happy! :rofl: