Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Be Careful! I Had My eBay ID Stolen

Let me tell you, Thursday was not a great day. When I got home from work, I did my usual routine of checking what email I had recieved during the day, and lo and behold I find a notice that I had won a laptop computer by using "Buy It Now".

First of all, I already have a laptop (an oldie for file storage), and I am not in the market for another financially. I thought that this might be a spoof email, but as usual I checked my account for this kind of activity. When I had gone to sign in, I was notified at the same time by email that my password for both the auction site & Paypal had been changed!

Needless to say, I was more infuriated than scared. Being the normally level headed guy I always am, I immediately called my bank to have a stop payment put in. That in itself took 45 minutes, after that I had called Paypal on the phone and was basically told that it would be investigated, access to my account limited, but there was no way to stop the transaction itself from coming from my account!

To me this is no way to treat a customer, no matter what the policy is.

Yes, like everybody else, I use a high power Firewall & Anti-Virus, but this is a reminder to everyone that no matter how protected you think you are, you can still fall victim to Identity Theft.

After dealing with both the auction site & the payment site, I am thoroughly disgusted with the way my problem was handled, and have now closed both accounts. Not only does this limit my purchasing estate items for amounts that I can afford, but it has soured me on the whole auction thing.

Please, Please... Always check the protection on your computer!

The person who hijacked my account was from the Ukraine, and that is where most ID thefts are stemming from now.

My Best To All My Brother & Sister Members Here On Findmall!

Barry

n/t

....fortunately Chase was good enough to reinstate the funds witin a day. They also told me that there were several other attempts to withdrawa funds from my account from Canada and Russia. What a crazy world we live in... why can't everybody be metal detectors... you people are great!

I have a small separate checking account just for Ebay purposes, and also do password changes every so often just to prevent something like that from happening. This is not saying it won't happen but it will slow it down from happening.