Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Battleship Massachusetts stern Turret... Lets go inside..

Ron J

I would be guessing, but i would think there would be at least a crew of 5 or 6 that would be stationed inside the turret! Let alone how many men would be below 2 decks to help load this thing! And remember there were two more on the bow![attachment 112411 DSC06484.jpg] Duck and enter...[attachment 112412 DSC06483.jpg] Come on in!:D Yes its tight..You needed someone to turn it, lift the 3 cannon up & down, someone reading angles, heights and figuring the distance to shoot the projectile. All this while the ship is rockin and rollin,tremendous noise and heat? On top of that you needed to keep your thoughts positive, not worrying about the vessel your are on could get hit! It had to be scary, but who had time to worry during a hot an heavy battle? I couldn't imagine being a gunner... [attachment 112413 DSC06482.jpg][attachment 112414 DSC06461.jpg][attachment 112415 DSC06453.jpg][attachment 112416 DSC06477.jpg]

[attachment 112417 DSC06466.jpg]Remember,this is all inside the turret![attachment 112418 DSC06458.jpg][attachment 112419 DSC06459.jpg] I would not want to be occupying this seat during any battle, let alone a practice run! [attachment 112420 DSC06479.jpg] 3 cannon firing at once, or sequential had to be unbelievable, with two more turrets of 3 cannon, firing 16" projectiles. If they were firing with the cannon at right angles, the blast would actually push the Battleship sideways, even though it was All Ahead! There was plenty of refills below decks! I don't know how many men it took below decks, lifting the projectiles with chainfalls, placing on racks with rollers, sliding them forward or aft, along with another crew doing the same with the powder charges, then into loading tubes up to the turrets. What an operation,it must have been. An everyone had to rely on everyone else! YOUR life depended on it![attachment 112421 DSC06411.jpg]

n/t

during battle didn't they? The noise must have been horrible:surprised: Thanks for the tour Ron!!

i have been on a few Battlewagons here but not like that. They always fascinated me but i had no urge to be a Navy man, just wanted to fish:biggrin: