Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Batteries=What is Lipo.

candycane

I see it a lot but have yet to see what it stands for.

Lithium-ion polymer batteries, polymer lithium ion, or more commonly lithium polymer batteries (abbreviated Li-poly, Li-Pol, LiPo, LIP, PLI or LiP) are rechargeable batteries (secondary cell batteries). Normally batteries are composed of several identical secondary cells in parallel addition to increase the discharge current capability.
This type has technologically evolved from lithium-ion batteries. The primary difference is that the lithium-salt electrolyte is not held in an organic solvent but in a solid polymer composite such as polyethylene oxide or polyacrylonitrile. The advantages of Li-ion polymer over the lithium-ion design include potentially lower cost of manufacture, adaptability to a wide variety of packaging shapes, and ruggedness. Lithium-ion polymer batteries started appearing in consumer electronics around 1996.

No you don't need to know it now. But back when these batteries hit the market here in the USA you kinda did. Now these have just become Lipo's and life goes on. Thank goodness to that. There are other things that can be helpful with lipo's like they don't like coldness. In that if you start with a cold battery it will go dead in half the time. But the same battery if warmed in your pocket and then used in the cold will preform almost to full capacity.

Me either....do we need to ever think about changing to them? I get all I need out of the batterys I have in my excal and others now?

Lipo's do have a duty cycle its way up there in the way we use them. Lipo's are affected by there discharge rate. We never ever come close the max discharge rate so they will last a long long time. I am guessing the circuitry in the detector, to prevent the battery from being depleted below the lowest voltage. That is the only thing that will ruin a lipo is discharging it below 2.8 volts per cell is dead and won't charge.

No, very few lipos have built in LVC <low voltage cutoff> circuits. It's up to the device or the user to watch for LVC. primary advantages to lipos...much lighter weight, faster charge times, high amp abililty, no memory, holds the voltage higher during discharge to the very end, where as nimhs and nicads and regular batteries drop faster in voltage as they drain. Also won't sel discharge on shelf. Just about all battery types get weaker in cold temps, so that isn't a big drawback.

And forgot one last thing...higher power densit, which is a fancy name for more capacity in a smaller size package than other batteries. I love lipos...