Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Barking dogs

BILLinOK

I finally got to go out for about an hour or so today to an old park. It has been hunted many, many times. I've gone there several times over the years. Didn't get much of anything.....a newer dime and penny. There was this miniature collie two houses down that barked at me the entire time I was there. I even had my headphones on. Very annoying. I can't believe a dog can continuously bark that long. Anyway I really enjoyed being in my own little world!

Anyway I really enjoyed being in my own little world!
One of the best things about detecting as a pastimne is just this very thing. I suppose if we did a psychological profile of the average detectorist, we'd find a person who is content with his own company and very focused.

And none too content with yapping, high strung mutts.

sometimes I wonder if dogs can hear the detector? maybe a high frequency kinda thing or something. They sure go nuts even when I'm a long way off sometimes.

I have a very high stress job, and this is my get away. There's days I don't care if I don't find anything!!

Should have walked over and talked to him. That quiets them down often when they find you are friend and not foe.

Bill.

Yeah they can hear it and it irritates them. Dogs are extremely sensitive to many things. There sense of smell is legendary. My dog can tell hours ahead of time if we are going to have a storm, rain, an earthquake. They have dogs now that can smell and point out cancer in a person's body.

Bill

I wonder if gold and silver have a scent. Can you train a dog to sniff out gold and silver like you can drugs and explosives?
:shrug:

The Germans tried gold dogs. It didnt work.

I think dogs are more inclined to respond to you shuffling around and digging, scraping metallic tools and such, more than a response to the detector itself.