Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bad day at Camp Cody.

Jbird

I had a map and some pictures of the WW1 army base of Camp Cody. The pictures showed all the tent sites lines up in rows in typical military fashion. I would detect an area and determine, by the amount of trash and other targets, where the street or walkways were between tent rows. It stood to reason there would be more good targets in that area. I worked hard to locate those "hot" strips.

I had a friend, Les, who was a recent widower. To help him get thru his depression from losing his wife, I taught him to metal detect and even sold him a used detector at a bargain price. The good samaritan, me. The idea was to have a metal detecting buddy to go hunting with me. But it didnt take Les long to tire of metal detecting and start chasing women again.

I had just located one of those hot strips between tent rows and was looking forward to hunting it the next day. That morning, Les asked me to borrow one of my detectors to go hunting. He was loaning his detector to his new girlfriend so I loaned him my Soverign. The two of them got to Camp Cody before I did and danged if they didnt accidently start in right on that hot strip I had located. I hunted close by and had to put up with such things as his girlfriend saying such things as, "Oh, its beeping, now what do I do." And then Les would call me over to listen to that old Soverign playing musical tones all over its 17 different tones. It did that every time a micro-wave tower, located close by, got to sending or recieving signals. It sounded like an out of tune church organ. I told Les that was normal and that he would just have to learn how to use it.:stars: I was hoping they would quit and go home. That was the plan. They did but not before they found three old indian head pennies dating back to the the 1800's. I personally never found any dating below 1900. That really burnt my....uh... ruint my day.

Being a sucker for punishment, I loaned a detector to another guy and his wife on another day. They were on vacation and someone had loaned him a beat up old detector to use. It was an old TR machine, a jetco as I remember, battery door missing and wires hanging out of it. I felt sorry for him so I loaned him a Tesoro Golden Sabre and showed him how to use it. He would detect and his wife would dig. That is a pretty good arraignment. I have never been able to talk any woman into doing for me.

On that day H. Glen Carson was hunting Camp Cody, the only time I ever saw him out there, and we watched this tourist and his wife having fun with my detector and both of us got this warm and fuzzy feeling. Sharing the hobby with others and all that gooey gooey crap, you know. Then they called us over to look at something they found. It was a large badge type thing, definitely gold, and identified as having been engraved specifically for a Minnesota National Guard unit whose tents were located on that section of the old Camp. They said since they found it with my detector, that they shoud give it to me. But being the good hearted soul that I am, I said no, no, no, they found it and it was theirs. Glen had a funny look on his face but didnt say anything.

Later that day, while having coffee with the boys at Arby's restaurant, Glenn told me that badges like that had been custom made by some jewelry maker at Deming, NM. They were not officially recognized by the military but being custom made and maybe one of a kind or one of a limited number, were sometimes valuable. He said one similiar to that had once sold for $1700. Grrrrrr!!:ranting:

That musta been some place to hunt! What did??? you find there?

Sounds like they have all the luck.

We have a large WWI area in North Little Rock called Camp Pike. I worked there from 1973 until 1979 and detected the area quite a bit. It was strange though, I never really found anything of consequence. That ole Fisher 555vlf was the ticket, but for some reason, that old military camp just didn't produce.

Don't recon those dough boys had a lot of loot to lose, or else I was just hunting around the wrong foundations.

Thanks for the story. Now, about that detector.... :lol:

aj

n/t

Mind you, often, they are proved dandy by my friends who I take there. Me??? Often a few pennies and not much else!! :)

fair winds

M